Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I need to be spoon-fed
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know theres that color code with green, yellow, brown, etc. But i've read several of them and im still hella confused. They say the numbers are on the crank and block. But i dont understand how they get the letter/number combo that they did. Can someone explain it to me in real real simple terms?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
The letters and numbers are specific to the rods and cranks(they are for indexing/reference). To get the correct bearing size(which go by the colors) you actually need to measure. How most people do it is installing "Green" bearings all the way and using plastigauge to check the clearance. If it's out of spec, you can see how thicker or thinner you need to go and get the correct size to replace that bearing.

To use the numbers and letters, refer to the manual. Most people just go by this(or so I believe); but IMO better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
so what your saying is, buy green bearings... not knowing if they will gie you the correct clearance... if not, your screwed out of the price you paid for the bearings...

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
lol, pretty much. It's like buying ACL bearings(which are "green"). The green bearings are just a base to measure off of. We had a couple of motors(honestly maybe like 1 out of 4-5) that didn't fall in desired spec when using the table.

Or, if you were really cheap; just use the same set of greens on all journals to measure.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not sure you can use jsut 2 bearings to measure...won't your crank be slightly out of alignment since it's not being supported by anything...

I think there is a set of bearings that was used just for this purpose for sale in the classifieds.

nick

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
So the used bearings I have that came out of my motor will suffice to check for new clearances? The bearings that I currently have look absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Only if you know what size they already are. Well really if they fall with-in spec with the current bearings you can just reuse them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts