Honda D Series Forum banner

Some turbo questions...

859 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  mhamrick 
#1 ·
I am turbo'in a 1.6 liter (not a Honda but the same size) and have run into to a dilemma. I really do not want to go with a T3 as I want something that is going to spool quicker. So I bought a T25 from a DSM (they are small I know). My HP goals are modest with me aiming at 200hp and quick spooling daily driver. I know the T25 will make 200hp as that is what they made in the Eclipse from the factory. However that does not leave me growth down the road. I think the most a person can make with a DSM T25 is 250 hp and that is really pushing it.

So I noticed there is T28 turbo and they spool nicely and can make around 300hp or more. I also noticed that all a T28 is T25 turbine and center section with a T3 compressor. How this is done I do not know and if you can make with parts from both (like T3T4) I do not know. Does anyone know how to do this or if you can? It seems like the perfect solution for me.

The other thing I want to know is that I have seen people talk about using cheap Chinese turbo parts and building them a decent turbo from them. If I can not find out how to make a T28 I was thinking about buying one on eBay and using my Garrett T25 center section, bearings, and turbine with the eBay's compressor and housing. I know this sounds stupid but I am trying to get a quick spooler yet still maintain some decent boost till my 7500 redline.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
well the t25 will get you to 200whp, then down the road if you want more buy a new appropriatly sized turbo. if you "build" your own turbo you will need to have it sent out to be balanced, that plus the cost of you *********** ebay turbo is gonna cost more than getting the correct sized turbo in the first place

#8 ·
Whoa I am not buying a cheap a eGay turbo kit. I was going to buy a cheap eGay turbo and use my Garrett T25 center section, turbine, and turbine housing. I was thinking about buying a eGay turbo for its compressor and housing if it is compatible with the T25. I have Garrett T3 parts that I would like to use but I can not find out how to match them up to T25.

I do not buy the chinese rebuild kit. I buy a USA made kit that comes with a free shaft balancing to zero. The kit cost about twice as much as the chinese but it is worth it. It is complete kit not a minor kit.

Anyway I found a guy that used the DSM T25 on the same motor I am using mine on and he made 200whp with it. Another person that he knows made 250whp with the same turbo which I did not find possible but he showed me a link to the documentation.

#9 ·
I really do not want to go with a T3 as I want something that is going to spool quicker
lol, you realize that you will get full boost before 3k with a t3 right?
I know the T25 will make 200hp as that is what they made in the Eclipse from the factory
just because the eclipse made 200hp on a t25 doesnt mean that a 1.6 will as easy. they are completely different motors, and the Eclipse motor is .4L larger.

you can get 200hp with a t25 on a 1.6, but its going to take more boost than with a t3, and the spool time isnt extremely drastic

#12 ·
Here is 2 dyno's from a guy using a the same T25 that I have (DSM). I know it is not going to be as easy considering I am going to be using a 1.6 but it is possible without breaking the bank. Another member that used a T3 50 trim said he did not get 7psi till 4k and for me that would hurt its daily driveability. The guy that is running this set-up that in this dyno says that the turbo pulls all the way to redline and I do not see any proof otherwise. My goal is 200whp and it will hit that for sure. My set-up is different with a better turbo manifold, better intake, larger intercooler plumbing (2.5"), and a larger intercooler.

http://picasso.org/misc/mr2/dyno/janMR2ClubDynoChart.jpg

http://picasso.org/misc/mr2/dyno/march05_dyno.jpg

My point for building my Bastard turbo was so I could turn the boost up down the road. However I don't see where it would be necessary now as my tranny will be lucky to hold 250hp without taking a shit on me. Still I have always built my cars that make 200hp like someone else would for 300hp. It just gives me an added reassurance and since this is not Honda (actually a bad thing) and fixing problems can be time assuming and costly I will leave it as be. Since this turbo has been tried and proven on my exact set-up I will stick with it.

#13 ·
dude, what engine is this going in 1.6l tells you nothin!! it could be a 8 valve 1.6liter for all we know, and you might not be able to even get 200whp. i mean this could be some old pos 1.6. what is it???

#14 ·
It is 4AGZE from a Toyota. Far from a POS. It is DOHC 16 valve. I posted 2 dyno's from a guy that used the exact same turbo as the one I have and he made 225hp with it. He maxed it out at that point and if you look at the 2 dyno's you will see that. On earlier dyno he made 130hp and 170lb ft at 4k and the second one he made 170hp and 220 lb ft at 4k. The first dyno was at 10psi and the second one was at 16psi.

My question is not will this turbo make x amount of hp with this turbo on my motor. I am wanting to know how to make T28 with T25 parts and T3 parts since that is all T28 is. I would rather start out with a turbo that can make 300hp so later down the road I will not have to pull it if I want to upgrade. I was even considering using a eBay turbo for parts and using my Garrett center section, turbine, and turbine housing.

I have however found an answer to my problem in case later down the road that this is not making enough hp. Basically all the Mitsubishi turbo's will bolt in once I have this set-up in my car. 14b, 16G, hell even a 20G.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.