Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was bored tonight and decided to tinker around with things a bit.

Took the coolant neck off my head and noticed terrible casting flaws and right angles galore.

Closer

Started working it tonight with the dremel. Cleaning up the casting flaws and radiusing the inner angles a bit more. I'll finish it tommorow and update with more pics. (heres hoping I don't chew right through it.)

Cleaned up a bit here.

One more.

Sure, it might not be worth any hp gains, but any advantage is worth a bit of DIY work.

More pics to come!

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
i wouldn't do it because i do not have OCD, but i respect the time. By you doing shit like that i would buy stuff from you.
x2 word lol

·
Registered
stock sedan
1,460 Posts
looks good--i can appreciate someone taking the time to tinker with the little things, even if it does'nt yield any HP gains--two thumbs up

·
Registered
75 Posts
thats a perfect spot for the temp sensor!!! plus props to OP little more flow might keep things cooler

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
thats a perfect spot for the temp sensor!!! plus props to OP little more flow might keep things cooler
i guess lol... if you wanna keep things cooler, you either flush the system and use a better antifreeze, or get a better radiator

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like I said, where is the water temp sender

ah-ha, i see what you did there.

I'm still very new to the D-game in the grand scheme of things, stuff like this is golden to me. At first I thought newer versions of the motor had the sensor placed there from the factory or something...

Where is that sensor originally located? Al my d engines are out in the shed right now so its tough to just go peek around. is that the one at the back of the block in the water jacket or the one in the side of the cyl. head?? Or am i way off?

Thanks for the insight.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Anything you can do to minimize pumping losses from the oil and or water pumps will give you more useable power. Also, this helps prevent cavitation. If you went through the entire block, taking care of all the small things like this, you would have a power powerful, more reliable, and more efficient engine.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is the ultimate plan. I will be porting the water passages on the block as well, minor work to keep the waterpumps efficiency high, yet add a little bit of volume and freedom of flow into the system.

Not to mention the porting/shimming i'll eventually do to the oil pump. this is all just dremel practice :D

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, I had a total brain fart. somehting made me think d-series motors would be other-worldly different from b-series motors... so naturally the water temp sensor is in almost the exact same spot on both motors.

All I'm wondering is what you plug the old hole with... and if you simply run a die down it for the threads??

Finished up work on the coolant neck, shaved a bit of excess casting off the outside as well and managed to bring it down 2 whole grams in weight over an unmodified one. lol :wacko:

On with the pix0rs!

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
Man that's OCD. but shit I wish i had ocd like that i'd never be putting off workin on my car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts