Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a d15b to drop in my 93 ex and i'm a little confused even after reading the d15b faq

the guy at the company i talked to said all i need to do is swap all my externals (you know altenator, v-tec, sensors, manifolds and all that good stuff-don't worry i plan to put a new water pump and timing belt on when i do this)

i know the basics of this- the block is basicly a vx and the head is the same as the z6 except the cam gear.

so i guess i'm gonna need a water pump for the vx model..where can i get this?

but everything else i have should bolt right up correct

thanks for the help

·
Registered
166 Posts
the cam gear is the same for the z6 and d15b, in a matter of fact, it's the same for all 88-95 d series.

it's exactly the same as the vx bottom block except it is not! the vx block has an oil cooler, the d15b does not. they have different pistons as well.

not too sure about the water pump, just take it off, then compare it to the vx, dx, and ex when you go to the store. you shouldn't assume...

but all the externals of your z6 (IM, EM, distributor, vtec solenoid, etc) should fit onto your d15b.

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
it's exactly the same as the vx bottom block except it is not! the vx block has an oil cooler, the d15b does not. they have different pistons as well.
The VX bottom also has a different crankshaft than the D15B VTEC. The D15B VTEC has the D16 rod journals while the D15Z1 has the regular D15 rod journals.

·
Registered
72 Posts
if u got an ex, why are u puting a 1.5 bottom end on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. b/c it's the cheapest motor i could come across

2. the d15b puts out more than the z6

3. it's more like a temporary thing...i want to build a z6 from the ground up eventually

1 - 9 of 9 Posts