Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 ex coupe. D16y8 180k miles. Burns a bit of oil still watching to see exactly how much. I have a magnetic drain plug and when I did my last oil change I had a small peanut sized ball of metal shavings on the magnet. Very very tiny. First oil change with the magnet. Also found a peice of metal maybe as big as a wooden pencil lead I guess. So how worried should I be about my motor. Or is this pretty normal?

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Metal chunks in your oil is bad.

Is the old oil that you drained sparkely?

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't find THAT much metal. Just that there was about half a teaspoon worth TOTAL on my magnet over the course of about 4000 miles. And they were very very fine peices

·
Registered
Civic and Accord
225 Posts
Think Your rod/crank bearings is time to change before you get a rod knock.

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Planning on ripping the motor apart come spring and make sure everything is ship shape. Then I can drive my bike while its down. Want to start adding some power so checking out internals is a definant must now. Thanks for the help guys
Also... khmoe, hiw much did the eagke rods run ya?

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Do not keep driving it.

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So if I open it up now while I still have fall left. Would I be able to see any bearing damage/wear problems from the bottom if I simply pull the oil pan? Sorry if that seems like a stupid question I've only had one block apart before. And I assume witha year of education under my belt and some common sense I could takle said problem?
Also note... I have a lot of head noise.
But I just put a tranny in it so I'm not gonna drop it.

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I'm thinkin while its still relatively warm out I'm gonna put up my car for a while and check things out. Probably replace the rod and crank bearings both while I'm in there with it apart (hopeing I can do all that through the bottom pretty easily) change my head gasket and put arp head bolts in. And do a valve adjustment. Everything sound good. Anything else not super pricey I should plan on changeing?

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Probably would be quicker to just grab another bottom end, slap it together, and call it a day.

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just picked the car up from getting the tranny installed 2 days ago.... so with all respect I don't want to pull the block off the tranny that was just sealed up. And dont want to buy another block. I don't mind the work and peace of mind knowing I have new parts in there also.

·
Registered
650 Posts
You may want to just drop the pan and pull the valve cover, to start with. If the cam looks grooved/worn, then some of that metal would be from that. If you rotate it around, look for any chips/gouges on the edges of the lobes. Then, check the cylinders out from underneath, rotating the pistons up to TDC one at a time. And check out the crank. You'll be less likely to see any damage down there without tearing it apart.

You may want to look into getting another motor, swap it, and then work on that one.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
pics?

some metal I don't think is that bad. I have the megnetic drain plug on my tranny and there's always a little something on it.

Even trannys at work with 30k have some metal on the magnet. Same with differentials.

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I didn't take pics I shouldve. The metal was SUPER ground down on the drain plug it was like buckwheat from a new clutch or something. I think I'm gonna go with pulling it apart and looking it over before I buy a whole new effin motor its a 2500 $ car so.... I love it but that's a lot considering I could just replace stuff I have other things to drive I'm not on a timeline

·
Registered
650 Posts
If it looks powdery once its dry, don't worry about. Especially if you only just now put the magnetic plug in.

The piece of metal, I'm not sure about. Could be from anywhere.

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What confused me was it was just ONE peice of metal. And yes I was powdery. More like a gritty sludge when whiped on a rag. I was planning originally on doing an early oil change (2k) and checking the plug then to see if that was just metal from the last 180k miles on the car because I just put the magnet in like you said. So maybe I should just check out the head firstly and see what I conclude from that. Its noisy as fuck and ness an adjustment anyways.

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did my valve adjustment this morning and holy shit is she a lot quieter now. Cam seemed to look pretty good a little grooved like lines on it more so. Also there was a little play in the rocker arms. Not much but it was there. Should I be worried about this or not?

·
Registered
99 EJ8 EX 5spd
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why don't I just buy a whole new car! That should do it. If these engines are such time bombs and need to be replaced all the time why do you guys friggin use them? Is nothing fixable? Jeez its like everyone thinks it takes more time to change a part or two then rip the whole damn thing out! Its got 180k miles not 300k so it should be fine shouldn't it? I'm trying to pull $ out of my ass to beef it up let alone putting a whole new motor in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts