Honda D Series Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
What size turbo is this? I mean, whats a cheap new chinese turbo cost typically? About double the price of a rebuild kit usually, maybe 120 bucks.

If it was chinese turbo to begin with, i wouldnt even hesitate on getting another cheap chinese turbo over the rebuild.

Just me though :) Those assemblies are precision balanced, even in china. Any kissing of wheels to housings, or debris damage, its no longer balanced. if the turbo is a cheap unit, get a new one, plus old one automatically becomes a paperweight or a door stop, so you still get some use out of it.
it’s a mitsubishi td04hl-19t
i would really rather stick with the mitsu if possible.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'd send it out for a rebuild and balance after the contact with the housing, without proper balance its going keep blowing out on you.
i’ll look in to that. just ordered the kit from mamba with the upgraded thrust washer and rings

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
Id still give gpop a call and see what they'll charge ya. they might have one on a shelf ready to go.
they rebuilt mine and upgraded it. cost about 500 but it came back pretty much brand new. even sent me a parts kit to rebuild the housings as well.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
well a new core is only $60…

if i blow this one up again i’ll just go for another core plus the mamba kit for $120 total

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
536 Posts
Just keep in mind that a blown turbo can kill your motor pretty quick, ive seen hydrolock with bent rods/crank from a blown turbo.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Just keep in mind that a blown turbo can kill your motor pretty quick, ive seen hydrolock with bent rods/crank from a blown turbo.
thanks for the heads up. thankfully blown turbos are not hard to spot ;)
also my turbo is tiny and my rods are forged

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
That is exactly the type of stress i envisioned when trying to choose between H and I beam type rods, but ive never personally seen that failure on the H beams before lol.

Yes I beams are heavier and you have to notch, and i know its hella hard to do, but i sleep well knowing my rod will have a very hard time flexing like a strip of bacon under high power :)

It is amazing though that those examples didnt sheer, they just buckled. Excellent material and design choices honestly.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts