Honda D Series Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,167 Posts
ok i might do that we’ll see. if the PS reservoir works i’ll let you know too haha
If you have a short pipe, hood exit, or like to shoot fire balls, it won't work. None of those things is necessary to be fast. What Slo recommended will 100% work. No guesswork, no pioneering a plastic reservoir that will eventually crack. Catch can needs to be metal of some type because of location and heat, and using exhaust to scavenge windage is as old a trick as NASCAR is, they invented it in the 50's.

Don't over think it. Get somebody to weld in that bung in the exhaust, route that to a catch can, rout the other two to the catch can, and done

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
you might not even need a bung welded in if you have an aftermarket exhaust with a 2nd o2 sensor.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
you might not even need a bung welded in if you have an aftermarket exhaust with a 2nd o2 sensor.
the greddy downpipe has 2 but the 2nd is too far upstream. im using for my wide band. it because it’s about where the AEM instructions said it should be

None of those things is necessary to be fast.
but the crackle tune…🥺

fr tho this is a street car so speed isnt the only goal. that’s the only reason i’m hesitant to do the exhaust thing. i want it to run as if it came with a turbo from the factory.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
ok one more stupid question. why not just use an evap can for the catch can? isn’t it the same thing but for gas fumes?

·
5,116 Posts
doesn't evap work with fuel vapor through charcoal?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
536 Posts
No baffles, and plastic, and the charcoal would plug up instantly, or near enough.
I've used this one and others with a few add on mods of my own to create CA smog legal setups that are reliable and environmentally friendly, though you do need to run a non combustible intake cleaner through the turbo every 25-30k miles.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
yo update. was installing my catch can, and i saw that the “turbo drain line” that i had actually sucks at draining the turbo. less than a week in, it had melted by the hose clamp and so anytime there was a spike in crankcase pressure (rev-matching between shifts) it would shoot oil all over the bottom of the car. i went to a hydraulic shop and bought the beefy-est hose i’ve ever seen and we’ll see how it goes. it’s rated for 500* internal temp and it’s braided so if it melts i would be impressed.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
ok final conclusion: smoke comes out when i open the throttle AFTER the BOV blows off. my new turbo drain works great and so does my PCV, but my turbo rings are fried lol. time for a rebuild

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
ok final conclusion: smoke comes out when i open the throttle AFTER the BOV blows off. my new turbo drain works great and so does my PCV, but my turbo rings are fried lol. time for a rebuild
Valve stem seals and guides wore slap out will do a similar thing on lift off, where high intake manifold vacuum will suck oil past the stem seals and guides, and burn/smoke as the oil vapor touches hot stuff on its way out.

Proper diagnostics are important here, so you get the right thing fixed :)

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,782 Posts
Valve stem seals and guides wore slap out will do a similar thing on lift off, where high intake manifold vacuum will suck oil past the stem seals and guides, and burn/smoke as the oil vapor touches hot stuff on its way out.

Proper diagnostics are important here, so you get the right thing fixed :)
it's a used D with a used turbo ,you know it's all clapped.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
it's a used D with a used turbo ,you know it's all clapped.
the engine is completely brand new, besides the head itself. the zc block was pulled out of a 89-91crx in 1992 and has been sitting in a barn since (with oil in the crankcase). new valve train, cam, seals, etc. i pulled the turbo and there was oil literally pouring out of my charge pipe lol. the compressor fan hits the housing and there’s abou 1mm of thrust play.
idk if it’s bc of just the pcv or my ebay rebuild kit…

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
any recommended places to find a decent rebuild kit that isn’t super expensive?

·
5,116 Posts

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,782 Posts
any recommended places to find a decent rebuild kit that isn’t super expensive?
what rebuild kit did you use the first time?did it have excess shaft play before rebuilding?
does the turbine wheel have a baked on crud/rocky coating?
did you mark the wheels before disassembly and reassemble in the same location?or balanced.

If compressor wheel kissed the housing you might as well look for a new used core to rebuild.

if planning 18psi or more the td04 should be rebuilt with an upgraded bigger thrust washer.

package and parts look just like the run of the mill china supplied oem spec rebuild kits that everyone and his mom sells..

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
If the shaft and wheels are fucked, cant use a rebuild kit, you'll need a new CHRA or just a new chinese turbo.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
i used the
run of the mill china supplied oem spec rebuild kits that everyone and his mom sells..
i did mark it before i rebuilt it.

If the shaft and wheels are fucked, cant use a rebuild kit, you'll need a new CHRA or just a new chinese turbo.
afaik it’s the rings and bearings that are messed up but i’ll check k everything out when i get it apart. it was leaking oil bad when i first bought the core but it was great when i rebuilt it.

·
Registered
1994 turbo hatch
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
just gonna drop some photos of the turbo. there’s a little bit of wear on all the replaceable parts and some wear on the compressor but i think it’s mostly just the rings being blown tf away. there’s a lot of play between the compressor ring and the seal

the shaft looks fine i’m just a little concerned about the compressor fan

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,440 Posts
just gonna drop some photos of the turbo. there’s a little bit of wear on all the replaceable parts and some wear on the compressor but i think it’s mostly just the rings being blown tf away. there’s a lot of play between the compressor ring and the seal

View attachment 138786 View attachment 138787 View attachment 138788 View attachment 138789

the shaft looks fine i’m just a little concerned about the compressor fan
What size turbo is this? I mean, whats a cheap new chinese turbo cost typically? About double the price of a rebuild kit usually, maybe 120 bucks.

If it was chinese turbo to begin with, i wouldnt even hesitate on getting another cheap chinese turbo over the rebuild.

Just me though :) Those assemblies are precision balanced, even in china. Any kissing of wheels to housings, or debris damage, its no longer balanced. if the turbo is a cheap unit, get a new one, plus old one automatically becomes a paperweight or a door stop, so you still get some use out of it.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts