Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I've been searching around for a bit and it seems like any bin dump sites are either down or don't contain what I'm looking for.
I'm getting started on my civic right now with a d16y7. I bought a p28 ecu and once I chip it I want to test it out to make sure it works fine. For that I'd like to have a base map loaded onto it made for a stock d16y7 to rule out any problems that would arise from using a d16y8 map. I only plan on driving the car around the block, then putting my p2e ecu back in.
Does anyone have resources on where I could find this? I need a D16Y7 stock/NA map for use with HTS/Crome.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
well, there is your problem, you are trying to run a d16y7 on a Y8 map. It will never work properly. It runs like hot garabge because there is a different fuel injector size.

Nothing to rule out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, there is your problem, you are trying to run a d16y7 on a Y8 map. It will never work properly. It runs like hot garabge because there is a different fuel injector size.

Nothing to rule out.
Thanks for your reply sir. That is the problem that I'm aware of, therefore I was wondering if anyone could help me OBTAIN a y7 map. I know some people could make one pretty quickly. But also I know I'm one of those guys asking for a map.
This would help a few people out in the future if the download was public.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again. I found a map on PGMFI for a "D16B7". This is is one step closer as it is made for a SOHC non vtec. But, the only problem with this map is that it is made for a 1 wire o2 sensor car. My car is 4 I believe (1998 CX Hatchback EJ6). In Crome, if I just disable the o2 sensor what effects will that have? Should I do this?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Yes I do. Z6 as well, and the one I just found d16b7.
I dont know much about the Crome interface, but you should be able to load the Y8 map up on the P28, disable VTEC, and rescale the injector settings to the Y7 injectors you have.

The car should run pretty much like its a Y7.

IAC question:

If the civic came with a Y7 like you say, is it an Auto chassis? If so, you may need to convert the Idle Air Control to a 2 wire on your Y7 to work with the P28 correctly.

There are threads all over the place that talk about that issue, here's one for starters:

If you already have a 2 wire IAC setup on your car, ignore the above IAC question haha. Just food for thought :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know much about the Crome interface, but you should be able to load the Y8 map up on the P28, disable VTEC, and rescale the injector settings to the Y7 injectors you have.

The car should run pretty much like its a Y7.

IAC question:

If the civic came with a Y7 like you say, is it an Auto chassis? If so, you may need to convert the Idle Air Control to a 2 wire on your Y7 to work with the P28 correctly.

There are threads all over the place that talk about that issue, here's one for starters:

If you already have a 2 wire IAC setup on your car, ignore the above IAC question haha. Just food for thought :)
In Crome, VTEC is toggled with a button and I think I found where to resize the injectors. I'll give that a go, and my car is a 5speed mt so good I'm on IACV wiring I believe. Thank you very much for your knowledge!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Simply resizing the injectors will not solve it. It will certainly help.

You NEED some way to show air-fuel ratio accurately.

the low cam profile of the d16y8, once you convert the map to 190cc injectors, will still be lean, and it will not rev out beyond 4500 rpms.

I HIGHLY recommend starting with a d15b7 map, then converting to 190cc injectors, then adding roughly 5% fuel, pull 1-2 degrees of timing beyond 3k rpm and anything over 50% load caluclated, and start form there.

If you are PURELY finding a map, then running the engine, you may be heading for failure. You NEED to finish the "tune" by checking the fuel enrichments, and making sure you are not drowning the engine in fuel, or running lean enough to do damage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Simply resizing the injectors will not solve it. It will certainly help.

You NEED some way to show air-fuel ratio accurately.

the low cam profile of the d16y8, once you convert the map to 190cc injectors, will still be lean, and it will not rev out beyond 4500 rpms.

I HIGHLY recommend starting with a d15b7 map, then converting to 190cc injectors, then adding roughly 5% fuel, pull 1-2 degrees of timing beyond 3k rpm and anything over 50% load caluclated, and start form there.

If you are PURELY finding a map, then running the engine, you may be heading for failure. You NEED to finish the "tune" by checking the fuel enrichments, and making sure you are not drowning the engine in fuel, or running lean enough to do damage.
Understood.

I loaded up the Y8 map and with the adjusted injector sizing the injector duty cycle was over %100 on the top end, and that can't be good. Also, I don't even know what that means. Another question though, in terms of injector duty cycles; isn't reducing any value that's above or near 100% to under %100 while keeping it rather linear basically doing what you're telling me to do by making sure I'm not drowning the motor with fuel?

Anyways, I should probably just pay to have one made.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
I think he's just wanting to test to make sure his ECU is working after buying it. Just wants the start up and run confirmation?

Anything other than just a start up and run, he'll need a proper tune.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Understood.

I loaded up the Y8 map and with the adjusted injector sizing the injector duty cycle was over %100 on the top end, and that can't be good. Also, I don't even know what that means. Another question though, in terms of injector duty cycles; isn't reducing any value that's above or near 100% to under %100 while keeping it rather linear basically doing what you're telling me to do by making sure I'm not drowning the motor with fuel?

Anyways, I should probably just pay to have one made.
You can do what your doing, and what I suggested for a quick start up to make sure your ECU works, but don't drive it like that without getting it tuned. Dont worry about the duty limits up top, just dont rev the engine high. Again, this is JUST for startup to make sure ECU works, that's it.

What are your goals for this civic? What are you doing that needs the P28 and Crome? Turbo plans?

If you are interested in tuning, you need to read a LOT more, break stuff, read even more, and break more stuff :) Read up on what injector duty cycles are if you're interested.

If you're not interested in breaking stuff or learning by making mistakes, then just bring everything to a tuner and let them play.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Post a screen shot of what you are working with. Perhaps someone can helpt get a setup sorted out so you can drive and test. Set a rev limit of 5500 rpms if you want to be cautious

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can do what your doing, and what I suggested for a quick start up to make sure your ECU works, but don't drive it like that without getting it tuned. Dont worry about the duty limits up top, just dont rev the engine high. Again, this is JUST for startup to make sure ECU works, that's it.

What are your goals for this civic? What are you doing that needs the P28 and Crome? Turbo plans?

If you are interested in tuning, you need to read a LOT more, break stuff, read even more, and break more stuff :) Read up on what injector duty cycles are if you're interested.

If you're not interested in breaking stuff or learning by making mistakes, then just bring everything to a tuner and let them play.
I have a ek hatch, with a d16y7 motor that came with it. I plan on building a d16y8 with Vitara pistons/arp studs/the typical built d16. I'm gonna eventually buy a y8 from the junkyard. I'm slowly purchasing the stuff to make this build complete, starting with the ECU. I wanted to fiddle around with the p28 on my y7, I realize now that unless I get it tuned then it'll be risky to drive it around as a daily.

No matter what I plan on taking this to a real tuner with a dyno. But I figured I'd tinker around the basics of Crome so I can have a slight understanding of what tuning involves. I'm coming to the conclusion to just stay away from uncertified maps.

Post a screen shot of what you are working with. Perhaps someone can helpt get a setup sorted out so you can drive and test. Set a rev limit of 5500 rpms if you want to be cautious
Here is the bin I modified from the Y8 map. All I did was disable vtec, resized to 190cc then reduced injector duty cycle percentages to below 100% at the bottom right.

And here is a D16B7 bin which all I did was resized injectors and did not modify anything else. I feel more comfortable running the B7 over the Y8 map.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
thsoe are <dot> mp4 files. They are not bins or anything.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thsoe are <dot> mp4 files. They are not bins or anything.
Oops.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
What version of crome are you using?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
is that d15b7 map untouched? It still shows 240cc as the "original" injector

1 - 20 of 20 Posts