Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I started my car and the alternator belt squealed. I gave it some gas, backed out, it started running nasty when I hit the street, the cel started blinking irregularly and the relay by the driver footwell started clicking like a madman.

It then threw a solid cel and I shut it off. All this happened in like 3 seconds. Started it up to see if itd repeat and to put it away but it ran fine. No light, no issue so I went for a short drive and parked it.

Today I went to run some errands, about 25 minutes into it being warm it gave me a hiccup and a solid cel, and was only happy below 3k.

Came home, went to check cel and it stays solid. Ecu is facetune's old obd1 development unit with a socket and bluetooth datalogging. It's been solid for 3 years.

Last night it frosted if that matters, and the car was outside.

Just need tips towards where to start troubleshooting.

Fwiw the 260 cam from delta is great 馃憤

Idk why more people dont run it. Feels like a honda now.

Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
It'll go into limp if it loses communication with a few key sensor circuits (drives fine under 3k, but stalls out if you try and rev over), happened to me before when my TPS plug wasn't clicked all the way home and slid off.

I've experienced the clicking before with a low battery, if the car voltage is close to the latch point of the relay it can flicker like that.

Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a new glass mat battery so im thinking the alternator might be giving up based on that and the new to me squeal when i first try to turn it after it sits overnight.

I checked my plugs but ill double check.

Wouldnt that still trip a code that you could read though? Im solid when jumped, and ive been jumping it to dial in timing since the cam swap, this is the first time its solid.

Wait... The 2 hole connector you jump for timing is the same connector you jump to retrieve codes isnt it? Either way its solid so even if im dumb it should start flashing either way.

Monday if this isnt resolved ill swap my ecu to the one in the white car and test. Its a new unit, hers failed this spring. Odd that wed have 2 ecus die in 6 months given they supposedly rarely fail.

Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It wasnt too loose when i finished the cam swap but ill check. Im out of town til sunday but monday ill check that and swap the ecu to jessies car to see if the problem persists or swaps to her car. Should narrow things down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts