Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Same
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ive been searching the net for about an hour now and havnt gotten a very good comparison on these two engines...

im looking for basicly whats the same whats different and why one might be better than the other ALSO what is and isnt cross compatible between the 2 as well as what might be better about one part on one engine thats better than the other and still cross compatible.

i have the zc in motion at the moment and the z6 sitting. trying get an idea as to how these engines compare before i get to in depth

the z6 is my current boost project to be, but if the zc is a better engine to boost ill ge the z6 running and swap them so i can build the other. i just dont wanna start on one and find out it would have been better to use the other

by what i can tell they are practicly IDENTICAL damn near clones but i just wanted to run it through you guys for opinions.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The (92-95)zc and z6 are identical, the only difference is in the trans and half shaft mount is tapped on the block. The z6 has the mount but isn't tapped.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
So I think you should build the Z6 while out of the car and swap it on in when ready. Sounds like a plan!

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
i thought the zc had the spark plugs on the back of the head to unlike the z6 or am i trippen
no, you ain't trippin, the zc is the equivalent of a usdm d16a6....so many people refer to the z6 as a 'zc' engine or other sohc vtec engines as 'vc' engines, it's hard to tell what actual engine they are talking about. If they mean the 'zc' engine that just has ZC stamped on the block and that's it, well that is the jdm version of the d16a6.....all naturalrex, you readin this, chime in anytime...lol

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
no there is a ZC VTEC and the DOHC ZC which all have ZC stamped on the block. THe Non-tec ZC is the same as an A6 so yes that is correct but it is not the only ZC motor out there with a ZC stamp

·
Registered
whatever runs....
2,927 Posts
is the vtec 'zc' stamped with just a ZC on the block too? Of course we all know about the dohc zc...lol but I was refering to the sohc, I wasn't aware it existed, I thought the jdm equivalent to the z6 was the d15b vtec....

·
Registered
Honda Civic
181 Posts
i purchased a D16Z6 engine from Japan that was stamped only ZC... It's perfectly the same as an D16Z6 (that i am used to). The only difference i can tell by the two engines is that on the ZC stamped block the paperwork says 130hp rather than 125 that i am used to in my own D16Z6.

DOHC ZC is a whole other engine, so!:p I was just wondering if there is a difference between the JDM D16 ZC, and the normal D16Z6 exept the 5 more hp (on the paper)

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
actually i think its compression but who knows for sure, well im sure people here do im just to lazy to look it up

·
Registered
Honda Civic
181 Posts
A friend of mine also said that the 5 more hp came from higher octane down there that allowed a more agressive fuel and ignition map, i dunno if that is correct, but thats what he told me!

So when i heard someone say there was a difference in the tranny between the two engines i was stunned!:p I sure hope not... HAHA! That would be a bummer for my sake!;)

·
Registered
Same
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
is the vtec 'zc' stamped with just a ZC on the block too? Of course we all know about the dohc zc...lol but I was refering to the sohc, I wasn't aware it existed, I thought the jdm equivalent to the z6 was the d15b vtec....
are you sure that the sohc 'zc' vtec isn't just a ZC with a minime vtec head swapped on it?

yes the jdm vtec zc only has zc stamped on the block and no its not a mini me HOWEVER dont be discouraged i get the mini thing alot

i purchased a D16Z6 engine from Japan that was stamped only ZC... It's perfectly the same as an D16Z6 (that i am used to). The only difference i can tell by the two engines is that on the ZC stamped block the paperwork says 130hp rather than 125 that i am used to in my own D16Z6.

DOHC ZC is a whole other engine, so!:p I was just wondering if there is a difference between the JDM D16 ZC, and the normal D16Z6 exept the 5 more hp (on the paper)
ditto ive been hearing something about different process of oil delivery, dont know how true or in what way ive yet to find anything that would confirm that.

only diff is cam and ecu tune.. EVERYTHING is cross compatible.
wundering which one has the more aggressive cam i would think the zc but who am i to know. and was curiouse as to whats different about the ecu`s

1 - 17 of 17 Posts