Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm going to be re-building my engine for boost, it's a JDM SOHC ZC out of a 97 integra...here are some of the parts that i'm am thinking of using:

JDM SOHC ZC block
Nippon low compression pistons
After market forged D15 rods (not sure if i can use these yet or what brand)
Stock crank shaft
all new bearings,seals and gaskets
was going to sleeve the block but am told i don't need to (opinions please)
Modified oil pump so it flows more efficiently
Modified block guard

JDM SOHC ZC head
All new gaskets and seals etc
New stainless valves (same size)
valve springs (still thinking about either using stock or upgrading and to what brand)
Cam re-grind

And also, is there any advantage in going to a SOHC VTEC head and what extra parts would i need if i was to go down that road... just the ECU and head? or would i need the intake mani and dizzy etc?

Any input would be great, i'm looking at an equal length manifold with a t3/t4 turbo and external wastegate...

Cheers
Damian

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
im guessing this is the non-vtec version. go with forged internals for the a6, since the motors are identical, besides the cam. the vtec head will flow better, but raise your compression, so take that into consideration.

all the other variables, I.E. sleeving and whatnot will depend on your power goals

also what vehicle is this going into? this is the same motor that i am going to be using in my build :TU:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's the engine that's in my car now, it's a JDM 97 integra...

So is it possible to use the forged d15 size rods in this engine...i havn't looked into it yet as a mate just told me about using them lastnight.

i'm wanting to run rather high boost so if i'm using forged rods and pistons, how much boost or HP can the standard block take?

·
Registered
951 Posts
If its a 1.5l crower mite make a custom set of forged d15 rods for like 800 but if its a jdm sohc 1.6l it will only take d16 rods. Eagle makes nice ones for 300 and scat for 270 shipped on ebay.com . Im not shure about converting an integra over to Vtec but on a 88-91 civic, you will need the z6 vtec head and z6 ditstributor,and z6 ecu,and and obd1 wire harness converter. A stock a6/z6/zc block with forged internals can hold about 300hp without sleeves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet, i was looking towards around 300hp so i will price up some sleeves to be dropped in...

and also thanks for clearing up the situation with the rods, looks like i will be using an aftermarket set of d16 rods then...
and as far as the vtec head goes, i don't think it's all that worth it considering all the extra hassel of getting parts and doing the conversion, i'm gonna stay non-vtec

O

·
0 Posts
the JDM1.5 uses the same rods as the USD 1.6 if I remember correctly. that means any eagle rods will work. the difference is the bore if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
18,607 Posts
hontegra said:
Ok i'm going to be re-building my engine for boost, it's a JDM SOHC ZC out of a 97 integra...here are some of the parts that i'm am thinking of using:

JDM SOHC ZC block
Nippon low compression pistons
After market forged D15 rods (not sure if i can use these yet or what brand)
Stock crank shaft
all new bearings,seals and gaskets
was going to sleeve the block but am told i don't need to (opinions please)
Modified oil pump so it flows more efficiently
Modified block guard

JDM SOHC ZC head
All new gaskets and seals etc
New stainless valves (same size)
valve springs (still thinking about either using stock or upgrading and to what brand)
Cam re-grind

And also, is there any advantage in going to a SOHC VTEC head and what extra parts would i need if i was to go down that road... just the ECU and head? or would i need the intake mani and dizzy etc?

Any input would be great, i'm looking at an equal length manifold with a t3/t4 turbo and external wastegate...

Cheers
Damian
Eagle makes great rods for a good price.
You don't need to sleeve the block unless you plan over 350whp or so.
Block guard is a good idea, just make sure they install it then bore and hone!
Cam regrind means bigger loaps and more radical up's and down's. Get tighter springs to keep the rocker arm on the cam. Try Crower or skunk2 (I think).
The SOHC Vtec head has a lot more aftermarket support then any other head. You will need the ECU and to hook up the VTEC. Don't need a new dizzy I don't think... anyone else care to chime in on that?

Hope this helps good luck with the build!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rexinre said:
Eagle makes great rods for a good price.
You don't need to sleeve the block unless you plan over 350whp or so.
Block guard is a good idea, just make sure they install it then bore and hone!
Cam regrind means bigger loaps and more radical up's and down's. Get tighter springs to keep the rocker arm on the cam. Try Crower or skunk2 (I think).
The SOHC Vtec head has a lot more aftermarket support then any other head. You will need the ECU and to hook up the VTEC. Don't need a new dizzy I don't think... anyone else care to chime in on that?

Hope this helps good luck with the build!

Ok so i'm keeping with the block guard and cam re-grind, as for the VTEC head, if somebody can say that all i need is the head and ecu and nothing else i may look into, i'm not keen on running around finding an intake mani and dizzy etc...

Thanks for info so far people, it's great.

·
Registered
951 Posts
You have to use the distibutor that goes with that head stock that your gona use, nothign else will fite rite. So if you use the d16z6 head you will need the z6 distributor, and z6 p28 ecu to run the vtec,and a ecu wiring harness jumper for obd0 to obd1? I dotn know if you can even convert a 97 integra obd2? back to obd1 92-95 . I dont think buying the head,distributor,ecu,wiring harness jumper,ect is worth it in your case when your trying to turbo to 300+hp. Call http://rywire.com 408-715-7989 and he will be able to tell you what has to be done to run that head.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah there is a conversion harness for OBD2a to OBD1, it's because in B-series motors the OBD1 ECU's are chipable and tunable and the OBD2 ECU aren't (or its very crap to tune)

O

·
0 Posts
may I ask why your sto stuck on the D15? and not willing to use the D16 block? there are tons more parts for it, and it's a better mtoor.

the costs of doing a D15 is about 25-40% more than a D16 motor.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
oscarmayer said:
may I ask why your sto stuck on the D15? and not willing to use the D16 block? there are tons more parts for it, and it's a better mtoor.

the costs of doing a D15 is about 25-40% more than a D16 motor.
he's using the sohc zc, which is a 1.6...

and yes, Scat rods are pretty good

O

·
0 Posts
then why was someoen talking about a 1.5l? hrmm talk about being confused :p

·
Registered
951 Posts
I was confused also, but i didnt think they made single cam zc 1.5 NON vtec blocks. He asked if he should get a vtec head so its not a d15b.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts