Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 90 civic HB with a sohc ZC non-vtec motor in it(wasnt runing) the guy i bought it off of said that the head was milled, but i dont kno how much. i got it running and when i would get on it, it was kinda slugsh(but not to bad) but when it would hit 4k rpm it would take off like a bat outa hell, almost like hitting v-tec.

after diving it a round for a month, a valve droped and tore up a piston and the head. so i pulled the motor and had it bored 30 over, and i went to a junk yard and pulled a head off of a 89 civic wagovan(the head code is PM 3-6) and i rebuilt it. but i put the ZC cam back in it.

but now after driving it around(i have about 2,ooo miles on it now), nothing happins when it hits 4,ooo rpm, nothing like befor. so my question is, why isnt it doing anything at 4,ooo rpm, could it be that i didnt have that head milled?

thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I couldnt tell you why its not doing that anymore

but I had an all stock Zc in my crx and it was real sluggish till about 4k too then it had power and I understand 4bangers usually dont have any power till later in the band but

i was like whoa this thing is a pos

I mean if you have decent power through out the whole band now why would you need it to take off at 4k

i have the same pm3-6 head and block now and i rebuilt mine just new gaskets and seals and it dont do the 4k thing anymore either but it just a good running motor now

I dont think milling the head does a whoollleeeee lot

so if its running good and the power is there leave it alone

·
Administrator
Honda
6,992 Posts
SOHC ZC and D16a6 Are the exact same thing. Either you had something wrong or it had been modified from stock.

And milling the head raises compression and would give you more power. But then you have to tune it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts