Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the hondata website it says the s100 is only for obd1 motors. i have a sohc zc non vtec in my 90 crx but it is not obd1 im pretty sure. will i have to upgrade to obd1 to be able to have good tuning or whats your opinion? bc everywhere i read good tuning is a must when going turbo. am i correct? or am i on the wrong subject lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do i have to make it obd1 to be able to tune it good like with hondata? or is there another good company that can tune for obd0?

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
43 Posts
Convert to OBD1 if your gonna tune. I've heard it countless of times from people. Also researched it countless of times for tuning engines NA or turbo. For a Civic hatch or CRX to a 1972 Datsun 240z. I'm talking research from when I was 14yrs young to 22yrs old now.

Now I'm in no way by any means an expert or have all the info down. But it definitely seems OBD1 would be best route and less headaches to deal with... I'm not sure why your not googling your setup with your goals/tuning options??

Although. You can dig up info on OBD0 tuning but I doubt any of it is any good or compares to what's available for OBD1 market (freeware to shelling out $$$). Plus I hear it's shit or unstable; at least I've never seen a build in person with one, but research and ask around more!

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
43 Posts
do i have to make it obd1 to be able to tune it good like with hondata? or is there another good company that can tune for obd0?
OBD1 is a easier route to go with if your worried about a "good tune" with products like hondata to aem or whatever else you may think of.

There are hardware harnesses and freeware software out there for you to manage on OBD0 tuning but research that up if you wanna play it that route

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what parts would i get to go obd1 from obd0 on a sohc zc non vtec? from what your saying i think it might be better to just go that route.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
43 Posts
what parts would i get to go obd1 from obd0 on a sohc zc non vtec? from what your saying i think it might be better to just go that route.
I'm not entirely sure besides wiring wise aa ecu jumper harness and distributor + alternator adaptors for OBD1 wiring conversion... Kinda lost here now plus it's 5am

As I'm not sure what specific parts are used or how people would run/setup both OBD1 distributors and intake manifolds (w/injectors being obd1) on a ZC SOHC engine.

I'm sure someone will fill in and correct me in anyway... Hopefully!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if i buy a chipping kit from turbo edit do i still need eprom chip burner, a wideband o2 sensor, Eprom Emulator, USB or Serial Datalogging Cable, Laptop for mobile tuning, and a Knock Sensing Unit? or will the chipping kit be the chip i need to put in my ecu? or are all those other things what i need to create the chip?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
OBD1 is a easier route to go with if your worried about a "good tune" with products like hondata to aem or whatever else you may think of.

There are hardware harnesses and freeware software out there for you to manage on OBD0 tuning but research that up if you wanna play it that route
No, it ()#)($*# isn't.

TurboEdit is way easier and more reliable to use than Crome, IMO.

OP-
DO NOT Convert to OBD1 unless you are planning on using larger than about 800cc injectors, run turbo and Nitrous or go with a NA ITB setup. You will get a better tune faster if you've never tuned before by using TurboEdit. Put the money you save from converting into the turbo.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX Si
43 Posts
No, it ()#)($*# isn't.

I'm sure someone will fill in and correct me in anyway... Hopefully!
Hence the reason why I stated that!! Oh geez...

I know for a fact you have more experience with all this tuning. Also seen your recent thread issue with chrome and been keeping up on it for random info/knowledge...

But care to give the guy some more info and tips, point in better direction, or answers to his questions?

if i buy a chipping kit from turbo edit do i still need eprom chip burner, a wideband o2 sensor, Eprom Emulator, USB or Serial Datalogging Cable, Laptop for mobile tuning, and a Knock Sensing Unit? or will the chipping kit be the chip i need to put in my ecu? or are all those other things what i need to create the chip?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, it ()#)($*# isn't.

OP-
DO NOT Convert to OBD1 unless you are planning on using larger than about 800cc injectors, run turbo and Nitrous or go with a NA ITB setup. You will get a better tune faster if you've never tuned before by using TurboEdit. Put the money you save from converting into the turbo.

i read that report. its very good but i have the sme question still. that report teaches me how to creat the chips but do i still need all the stuff that turbo edit says i need in its where to start section? the items i asked about before?

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
I don't know what items you are talking about. You'll need at least a datalogger, chipped PM6 or equivalent, and a chip burner and/or an Ostrich. Pretty much the same thing if you converted to OBD1 without the expense of the conversion.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
converting to obd1 is not a failsafe there is still potential for obd0 for the DIY tuner.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
No they don't. It's the same design. They are newer, but that doesn't make them more reliable. They still have the same dang issues that every other Honda dizzy has.
true dat not much more reliable.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts