Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ive been doing some research and I want to know if the build would work. Opinions are needed. I have a sohc ZC for the project and I want to build a decent streetable motor. I want to use the PM7 pistons along with the Y8 head and to keep everything in its place, I'll have ARP bolts. Using the calc, the CR ends up to be around 12.2:1 kinda high but decent enough. Besides P/P headwork and ss valves, I just want to make sure there is valve clearance. I want to use a cometic gasket to bring down the CR at least into the high 11's, I played with the calc but I dont know the thickness of the turbo cometic gasket. Does anyone know? I can deal with 12.2:1 using an oem gasket. Is there a gasket anywhere that would help lower the CR? Maybe a metal one, HKS etc.. Here is the setup.

Y8 head - p/p
Y8 IM
LS TB
ss valves
rs springs w/ retainers
arp bolts for head
pm7 pistons
head gasket <-- not sure just yet.
eagle rods

I thought about switching out the pistons but, I kinda want to keep them if possible.

any help would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
pm7 pistons will not work with eagle rods (out of the box) Eagle rods are made to use a floating pin where as oem pistons use a press fit pin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LS rods use press fit pins right? That was another option I was thinking about. Eagle rods can be machined to work with oem pistons though right?
 

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
crixzc said:
pm7 pistons will not work with eagle rods (out of the box) Eagle rods are made to use a floating pin where as oem pistons use a press fit pin.
well, both floating and press fit rods are available from Eagle. To bush a d16 floating pin rod to work with press fit, too much material would have to be removed @ the small bore...

Just use the sohc ZC rods---

BTW, is this a sohc vtec zc or non?

FYI, apexi makes both a 1.1mm and 1.5mm headgasket for d's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
builthatch said:
well, both floating and press fit rods are available from Eagle. To bush a d16 floating pin rod to work with press fit, too much material would have to be removed @ the small bore...

Just use the sohc ZC rods---

BTW, is this a sohc vtec zc or non?

FYI, apexi makes both a 1.1mm and 1.5mm headgasket for d's
thanks for the info. I will need stronger rods for this build though. It is a non vtec but will be using the Y8 head since that head matches up with the crx si dizzy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to add the valve clearance question which is the most inportant. :p would there be enough?
 

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Apex001 said:
I forgot to add the valve clearance question which is the most inportant. :p would there be enough?
you are using pm7? What camshaft? At any rate, pm7, they are the same as p29, both agentjam and I use p29 w/ y8 head and we have no clearance issues with Crower stage 2 cam, however, we also are using 1.5mm headgaskets...but still, you have some room to work with. You should clay so we all know for sure what we are dealing with with this combo...

BTW, we are going to crower stage 3 immediately. agentjam has his and mine is lost somewhere between crower and here....

also, just a note, with a .038 headgasket, which is what honda offers now for all the d16, your compression would be around 12.6:1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
builthatch said:
You should clay so we all know for sure what we are dealing with with this combo...
thats an awesome idea, but not sure how to do this. would I just slap a chunk of clay in the combustion chamber and see how much clearence there would be? If you have some info on this that would be great. As far as the gasket, I like the apexi gasket and that would yeild the CR Im looking for with a little more room for error. :) I just hope I dont need it.
 

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
Joined
·
2,469 Posts
Apex001 said:
thats an awesome idea, but not sure how to do this. would I just slap a chunk of clay in the combustion chamber and see how much clearence there would be? If you have some info on this that would be great. As far as the gasket, I like the apexi gasket and that would yeild the CR Im looking for with a little more room for error. :) I just hope I dont need it.
check this out- http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/claymotor/clay.php
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
builthatch said:
I set it @ 16 to mesh with the base timing the Apexi Power FC looks for...

Without a PowerFC, I would/have run 10 degrees BTDC...
why would u have to run 10 degrees BTDC
i have a 0.076 head gasket what do i need to do??
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
pandaew said:
my Z6/P29 with zex 59300 run at 10degree BTDC too, once more than that, engine start pinging.
are u using a thicker head gasket?? or the stock one??
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top