Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am trying to fully build a sohc z6 and wanted to get some opinions.

I want to go full out with the z6 head and z6 block. (all motor)

z6 head because i've heard its better for high end, and if i do fully build it what should I consider? Pricing is not much of a matter, although I am not rich Im taking my time on this build (doing all my research making sure i get everything right). Where can I get cams, and what type of valves or springs should I get? Which type of valve jobs are best? Port polish? 3 angle?

I will also need help with the block build as well. I need to figure out which parts need to be replaced to boost the compression up. but before that i want to build an all motor daily driver so i don't want the compression to be hella high. I want to be able to pump 91 octane, don't wanna use them 100 octane or racing fuel. Which compression ratio is reasonable. I want it fast, but daily driving fast. Just fast enough, high 13s? if yall could help me out that would be great. Getting an easy build that will do me good is what im looking for. Nothing too hard where I will have to adjust the internals, etc...

I've heard of people using the y8 head on a z6 block and want to know why? how would i hook up the wires, since the y8 is obd2? I'm a rookie and am in the process of learning so anything will help. thanks. this is either going in an eg or a crx.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
I've heard of people using the y8 head on a z6 block and want to know why? how would i hook up the wires, since the y8 is obd2? I'm a rookie and am in the process of learning so anything will help. thanks. this is either going in an eg or a crx.
what's it going to be? the eg or the rex? it will be the difference between wiring...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
upping compression...there are two easy ways to achieve this:

you can either swap out the pistons for ones that increase compression and bore size or you can mill the cylinder head....or both. to cover all the bases you need to consider what higher compression can do.

with compression cylinder pressures increase which can cause damaging "blow by." This throws oil into all kinds of places it shouldnt be. If its a high mileage motor and you up the compression dramatically, say from stock comp to 11:1 or so....then weak high mileage piston rings can leak under higher cylinder pressures. This is where it is wise to do pistons and new rings. Even if its just stock replacements. Oh and new bearings while you are in there.

Your headgasket choice is key as well, it can buy you some clearance or it can bump compression slightly. stay away from copper headgaskets and anything too thin. a safe bet is always a y8 oem...all 3 layers.

91 octane you should be able to run up to 11.5:1 compression on a decent tune.
if you want higher compression you can, but that brings other parts of the build into question that may need addressed unless you do a high quench build. quench is like free octane points.

in my opinion build n/a around a cam selection. certain cams are built to make power at different RPM's. get a cam that emphasizes the compression you are shooting for. @ 10.5-11 comp look into a delta 272, bisimoto level 2, comp 59300 etc etc...stronger valve springs for higher revs and higher lift cams.

lastly, google zeal auto werks d-series calculator and let the fun begin. you can calcualte all sorts of set ups and figure out what works best. phew, enjoy sir.

peace

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Honda D-Series Compression Calculator by ZealAutowerksRemember to enter .028" for the head gasket. Some people say .027"
You want about .028" between the piston and bottom of the head to account for rod stretch. The y8 heads don't have an open chamber all the way around so the hg is the only distance you have if the pistons sit at zero deck. 1 three layer is enough most of the time to keep from smacking the head.
Some shops can shave down the piston tops if you have to. People use the y8 head to bump compression on a stock block.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Some shops can shave down the piston tops if you have to. People use the y8 head to bump compression on a stock block.

^^^haha some people do...but dont resort to that :) if not done perfectly it
can cause hot spots, detonation, improper valve relief angles/locations and can lead to cracks in the piston dome or even the piston ring landings jumping up too high into the cylinders. its super high risk to gain clearance...

instead do as was stated earlier by Tw34k, read tons of other peoples successful builds and see what is common. thats great advice.

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
^^^haha some people do...but dont resort to that :) if not done perfectly it
can cause hot spots, detonation, improper valve relief angles/locations and can lead to cracks in the piston dome or even the piston ring landings jumping up too high into the cylinders. its super high risk to gain clearance...

instead do as was stated earlier by Tw34k, read tons of other peoples successful builds and see what is common. thats great advice.
This was priceless, I'd like to remember it.
How about some fools that tried to run a single layer in the stock b7/y8 mini me and wondered why it blew.
I tried to rep you but it said I had to spread it around some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts