Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im pretty new to the honda world. i have a good idea of what i want to build im just not sure on the motor. i want to turbo either a sohc or dohc but i dont know what would be safest. i ddrive alot around town so it would have to be dd safe which is why i was thinking the sohc is better. i know its not going to be cheap and im not looking for outragous power. i dont expect to build much more then 250hp if that. im thinking a t3/t4, wally 255, dsm 450cc injectors. obviously tuning ect. any thoughts would be much appreciated :biggrin:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I honestly use the d not because this dso but swap 1000- 1800. Turbo d reliable parts 2ooo .... you haven't even bought the turbo kit and stuf for the b series when you have almost a fully built d posilbly make 250 to 300 hp

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
there is no "safe" build; its all about your build quality and how much time.money and research you put into it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Need to be more specific. Comparing sohc to dohc is apples,oranges and lemons. Give us 2 motors exp. d15b7 vs b18a1. The range is to big to compare sohc to dohc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I'm going to be buying either a coupe or a teggy. Or also looking for eg hatches. I'm trying to find one with a d15 or d16 vtec and I'm gunna put new head gaskets and low comp. Piston rings before I Turbo it. Probably arp headstuds as well. Later ill put cams and internals. I want to know what's going on with the internals before I build it and blow it up lol like I said I'm new to Honda's and don't know all the engine models. What motor would you recommend? I only want to boost around 9-12psi max. Probably just roll around town on 7ish psi so I'm not completely stressing out the motor

·
Registered
167 Posts
The d16a or d16z are good blocks, the y's are known to have slight oiling issues, RC-autoworks and FJ-distributions both have kits for the d16's and d15's so you could choose either there.

Most popular heads with vtec are z6 and y8, no-tec is a6 or y7.

There lots of turbo builds in the show case and in the forced induction section, pick a few and start reading and getting an idea for what you want to do.

The stock rods limit is right around 200hp which shouldnt be to difficult.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
first of all... there is only ONE headgasket on these motors
2nd, piston rings DO NOT lower your compression by changing them out.
i say slap a dsm turbo on it with a HF manifold and dsm 450cc injectors and just boost it that way WITH A GOOD TUNE!! might get you around 175ish, but should last you for a few years if you treat it right and keep up on maintainence

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
first of all... there is only ONE headgasket on these motors
2nd, piston rings DO NOT lower your compression by changing them out.
i say slap a dsm turbo on it with a HF manifold and dsm 450cc injectors and just boost it that way WITH A GOOD TUNE!! might get you around 175ish, but should last you for a few years if you treat it right and keep up on maintainence
My bad I know there is only one head gasket lol typo. If I can't put low compression rings in it then wont boosting it put to much stress on the rings?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Use an engine similar to the one that came OEM in that car for simplicity sake.

Out of the Ds I personally like the DOHC D16A8, A9, Z5 ir the late ODBO or ODB1 ZC DOHC Blacktops, but most of the SOHC ds can also do what you want no trouble. Wit the SOHC D yo can get Vtec which was not a option on the DOHC D series.

Aftermarket parts are easier and cheaper for the SOHC engine, but there a a few parts on the DOHC that are stronger or make a fraction more power, so you can go a bit further while still strictly stock internally.

Main advantages of the DOHC d are they havethe stronest rids in any D series. SomeSOHC engines have the good rods, but all DOHC blacktops have them. The DOHC has a better oil pump and it has 11mm vs 10mm head studs to clamp the head down a bit better. They also have very large ports, inlet manifold and cam specs. You can also play a bit more with the stock cams and adjustable timing gears.

If it already has a B in it, leave it there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well im still not sure on what motor but i know i want vtec. thats the main reason im getting in to hondas lol it reminds me of a 2 stroke dirtbike powerband :) ive being browsing the forums seeing alot of d16z6 builds that are going well for people i think thats where im heading. theres alot of info on here about them and like everyone said they are cheaper to fix which is a plus for me.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
pistons will change your compression ratio, a simple change of your rings will not lower your compression for boost.

a D16Z6 has close to a 9:1 ratio factory. the weak spots on the motors are the rods. if you were to go DOHC B series motor, you can run 300hp all day long for many of years aslong as you keep up with it, and they are also easier to make power out of. if you buy a car with a D series motor then search around for the pros and cons about each motor and try and shoot for a vehicle with that motor already in it. if you end up getting a Integra, wether it be a LS or a GSR either will handle boost fine. you can do 250 on a stock LS motor on rather low boost with a 57 trim turbo and have no problems.

if this is your first time boosting a car, rear the stickies in this section and also read through the "showcase" section on other people builds to see what they use and how it works out for them.

we are here to help, but the biggest thing we dont like to do is spoon feed people information that gets covered every week on the forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pistons will change your compression ratio, a simple change of your rings will not lower your compression for boost.

a D16Z6 has close to a 9:1 ratio factory. the weak spots on the motors are the rods. if you were to go DOHC B series motor, you can run 300hp all day long for many of years aslong as you keep up with it, and they are also easier to make power out of. if you buy a car with a D series motor then search around for the pros and cons about each motor and try and shoot for a vehicle with that motor already in it. if you end up getting a Integra, wether it be a LS or a GSR either will handle boost fine. you can do 250 on a stock LS motor on rather low boost with a 57 trim turbo and have no problems.

if this is your first time boosting a car, rear the stickies in this section and also read through the "showcase" section on other people builds to see what they use and how it works out for them.

we are here to help, but the biggest thing we dont like to do is spoon feed people information that gets covered every week on the forum.
im really hoping on buying a car with the motor i want already in it so it saves me some time and money. this will be my first time boosting a car that didnt come stock turbo. i built 2 different eclipse's but they were stock turbo so it made it a little easier. im not really going for high hp im looking more for reliability. im fine with 200hp. of course id much rather 300hp but thats out of my budget right now. i dont blame you on spoon feeding others i dont like asking questions that have already been answered. ive got a lil bit of research to do before i pick what motor. thanks guys :punk:

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
a simple setup is to find a dsm partout and grab the turbo, wastegate stuff, blow off valve (called recirculating valve on dsm since it releases to intake), injectors, resistor box, and as much ofthe downpipe as possible.

you can trick the wastegate with a boost controller to get a lil more boost, and with a reground cam, easily hit 200whp.

ebay has un marked eagle h and i beam rods for less then $250

toss some d16a6 pistons or vitara pistons, and matche a cylinder head. i rcommend the d16y8 if vitara pistons are used.

then its a matter of purchasing a tuning solution

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
atleast you have a power goal, and a good idea on what you gonna be needing. thats a plus.

Now, if your back pocket it deep, go with a hype r or gsr. Throw a turbo on there tune it, call it a day.

Or you can spend alittle less and get you an ej1,eh2, or *eh3(coupe,hatchback, or the 4dr). now the thing with this is the ex is the ones that came with a z6, but you should be able to find a dx/lx model that someone has swapped a z6/y8 into for cheaper. Then slap a turbo on it, get a tune call it a day.

its all in how much you got or wanna spend.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
My bad I know there is only one head gasket lol typo. If I can't put low compression rings in it then wont boosting it put to much stress on the rings?
You can't put low compression rings in because (as far as I know) they don't exist. All the rings do is seal everything up so you don't get oil in the combustion chamber or combustion into the oil (at least that's my understanding of them). Also the rings will be fine, my bottom end (all stock except for rod bolts by the way) is taking boost like a champ and has 206K miles on it. Making 180whp/150wtq, these little ds can take quite a beating.

Looks like you are on the right track though with everything. Welcome to the wide world on Hondas, you'll like it here.

·
()*#$(*$
11,404 Posts
I prefer DOHC Ds (JDM ZCs, not the USDM D16A1s) for turbos for a few reason:

-Stock head and cams are good to well over 400HP. Can you do that with a SOHC? Yes, but not as well.
-DOHC Ds tend to make more torque for longer, due to the ports being )(#*(*#$ huge while still developing decent velocity over a wide range of the engines operating range.
-The larger head studs and more block reinforcement tend to make for engines that hold better, though this will depend on tune, completely.
-Highest stock revlimit on any D.
-They look better sitting in the engine bay, IMO.

The only advantage of the SOHC D16s are that if you are cheap, you can run Vitaras. That's it. And I don't like Vitaras . . .

Overall, I love that engine. I have one. I will keep one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts