Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i use 2 have a sohc and then traded for a b18b1 and missed vtec =( so am going 2 trade for a d16y8 lol and i wanna b able 2 keep up wit gsr's any suggestions on what i should put into the engine. want no boost all engine.

so about 170-200 whp

was thinking

1.cam shafts
2.cam gears
3.pistons
4.ecu
5.tune

what do you think let me know. also price rande is about 500 got a kid coming but still love my hondas lol

let me know what u have done in past and what brand to go with thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
You're gonna have a hard time making that with a D naturally aspirated
I'm not the master of Ds or anything, and you should wait for somebody else to give you some input, but I don't think ur not gonna make that kind of HP easily with a D, especially not with 500 bucks.

With 500 you could get a rebuild kit for 300 ish from f-j distributors, then have any machining that you need done and a tune, if you're lucky and you have any money left a header. But you won't be anywhere near 170-180 wheel.

Nick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i did some reserch and found prices as such

camshaft 225
gears 125
pistons 80

and they were no nock offs

also heard about valve springs wahts ur suggestion on those fond them for 155

thanks

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Oh man, for 500 let me steer you back towards a basic junk yard kit tuned obd1 with stock injectors with enough boost to reach your goals.

Or all motor you will need to be able to port the head yourself,
p29's with bearings, rings, $130
I/H/E $230
HG $23
Fluids $25
H,F,B series throttle body $25
Obd1 cam gear or y8 maps.
Cam gear tuning maby $38 for cam gear.
Tooling to prep and build the Block?
obd1 tuned over budget but close.
You'd maby be at 180 whp with a stg2 cam. $238 comp cam-$450 Bisi.
Or look into a regrind.
Having to run 95 octane or better all the time. You'd have to run street wise 100, motor octane 96 like all the time. You'd be at 12.99:1 compression. Might as well just go e-85 97-102 octane but running 30-50% more fuel at $240 a gallon.
Have fun, you shouldn't have to give everything up just because children are in the picture. It'll just take longer to put a build together and you might compromise on parts quality.

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks yeah i please to do intake and headers for my first "mod" and then leave exhaust stock due to the baby.

as for cams i never knew that they gave no hp.

but what about cam gears?

also can you install cam and cam gears into your engine while its in your car still? any diy/how tos?

if i get a y8 would a z6 head be better to do? is it just a simple bolt on?

and for pistons what ones should i get depending on my head?

is a hondata necesary or chipping the ecu?

also am gonna get a 60mm tb off a b18b1, so will the sensors line up the same and would a tb spacer do anything at all?

thanks

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
thanks yeah i please to do intake and headers for my first "mod" and then leave exhaust stock due to the baby.

as for cams i never knew that they gave no hp.
You have to tune for the extra power
but what about cam gears?
They adjust the power band, You might pick up 4 hp.
also can you install cam and cam gears into your engine while its in your car still? any diy/how tos? Yes

if i get a y8 would a z6 head be better to do? is it just a simple bolt on?
Z6
and for pistons what ones should i get depending on my head?
D15b7 pistons for a z6 head.
is a hondata necesary or chipping the ecu?
Yes
also am gonna get a 60mm tb off a b18b1, so will the sensors line up the same and would a tb spacer do anything at all?
OH Yes.
thanks
500 won't get you far with name brand parts. I hope you read that link and the z6 vs y8 head thread. Newbs feeding mewbs. :ugh:

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
what do you think let me know. also price rande is about 500 got a kid coming but still love my hondas lol
I think you should read the links provided...

Oh man, for 500 let me steer you back towards a basic junk yard kit tuned obd1 with stock injectors with enough boost to reach your goals.
Add in a set of 450DSMs, up the budget to $1000, and go for 200HP!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts