Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it wasn't as bad as i thought in truth yes my crank went dry al least once or twice rods look good too. but all in all it's salvageable. but what i found the most strange was my thrust bearing. one of them had massive wear.. here's pics..

here's my thrust bearing. the one on the left looks un touched but the one on the right was badly chewed.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Noob question, but what is a thrust washer exactly? Is it so the crank doesn't rock back and forth? I havn't rebuilt an engine yet so I dunno lmao.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
yea thrust washer keeps crank from going side to side.

to op: looks good bro, new bearings and run that sh*t
Well doesn't that mean his shit is being pushed to one side, chewing up the washer? It seems to me like that would happen from slamming on the clutch...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You're basically right. The thrust washers stop the crank from moving front to back (or side to side as it is mounted in the car)

OP: I've heard that a really aggressive clutch will make the crankshaft move from side to side. Don't know how much truth is behind it, but I can picture it working in my head.

Did this engine have any audible knock when last running?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
You're basically right. The thrust washers stop the crank from moving front to back (or side to side as it is mounted in the car)

OP: I've heard that a really aggressive clutch will make the crankshaft move from side to side. Don't know how much truth is behind it, but I can picture it working in my head.

Did this engine have any audible knock when last running?
Thats essentially what I said, I just didn't think an "aggresive" clutch would do that, just the user. No offence op I'm not trying to say you can't drive lmao.

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a cheapo ebay XTD stage 1 and ppl the knows me knows i drive and shift like a freaking old lady. i shift by the numbers.

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
remoer, does a dohc zc and a d15/d16 sohc have the same size snout for the crank pulley?

just curious...
the crank is the same as a a6, z6 and y8. but you can't use a b2 and b5 cranks. kind of the same in not mixing sohc crank.

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Are they top and bottom or front and back thrust bearings.

If they are top and bottom, I would suggest one was installed missaligned or with tight clearance. Oil flow from the main bearing should lubricate the thrust bearings.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
5,468 Posts
I've never seen that type of wear and tare on a thrust bearing before?
Looks like it was'nt lubed or had some metal on metal contact.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
hmm, i wonder if my washers on my B7 look like this too. I have a xtd stage 1 clutch w/ 6.7Lb flywheel for the past 4+ years...the same clutch/flywheel. I doesnt appear to be in bad shape, probably get away with a micro polish and new bearings/washers.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Are they top and bottom or front and back thrust bearings.

If they are top and bottom, I would suggest one was installed missaligned or with tight clearance. Oil flow from the main bearing should lubricate the thrust bearings.
Top and bottom or front and back? There's only one way these go in.

·
The Great Weldini
8,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Driving characteristics can be detrimental as well. If you are rough on the clutch it causes movement as well
i have a cheapo ebay XTD stage 1 and ppl the knows me knows i drive and shift like a freaking old lady. i shift by the numbers.
I know how Remo drives...he Granny shifts and doesn't double clutch like he should. He even let his diamond plate passenger floor board fall out while hitting the NOS!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts