Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my car tuned yesterday on e85. Didn't push coolant at all on the dyno but I did some pulls on the way home. When I opened the hood I had coolant all over the place and the overflow tank was full fml.

The car still runs fine and doesn't overheat. I was watching the ect's and they don't go much above 180 unless sitting in traffic. Is the headgasket toast once I push coolant? Or can I try tightening the head studs? I torqued the arp's to 60 and re torqued them after a couple weeks. The tuner said he stayed on the conservative so I don't think I have too much timing. AFR's are steady around 11.2-11.5

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yup retorque. Get all coolant levels right. See if it oushes or drinks agian. If so, pull head check surfaces on head and block. If 100% new hg and arp headstuds. Gl.

Stratton.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Are you sure your coolant wasn't just to full? Some people like to fill the overflow bottle and then when the system heats up and expands it overflows the bottle because there was to much.also check your radiator cap before buying a head gasket

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,047 Posts
do a pressure test on the cooling system

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I filled up the radiator this morning and did a couple pulls. The overflow raised a little and there were some bubbles coming out of the hose
smell your coolant, does it smell like exhaust? the over flow is supposed to raise a little if the system is to full (thats what its there for), if you have to much coolant or to much pressure from exhaust or something like a weak cap its going to overflow into the bottle, if the bottle is full already then its going to shoot out of any hole like a garden hose with a nozzle on the end.

most likely its your head gasket, when i reinstalled my turbo kit from my coupe onto my sedan i forgot to run 91 octane and ended up blowing my head gasket

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
I 2nd the HG being bad. Make sure you lube those ARP's when you torqe them down. Also get some copper spray gasket for the new HG. What is your base timing set at and what kind of timing are pulling on your tune?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I pushed a fair amount of coolant into my overflow tank from a weak radiator cap. I ended up replacing it with a 1.3kg cap and that solved that issue.

In your case it sounds like a head gasket.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does your coolant smell like a combustion chamber?
The overflow smells a little funny. Sweet like coolant but something else too. Im going to change the headgasket tomorrow and check the plugs for signs of detonation.

·
4,047 Posts
before you do that, why not pressure test the cooling system? autozone will rent you the tools and you get your money back

free test>paying for parts you may not need and extra work

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
If you have access to a leakdown tester, do the test after changing your HG and torquing the head. Keep the radiator cap open when you are doing the test. Any HG sealing issues will immediately show up as bubbles in the coolant when you pressurize the cylinders.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Easiest way to test for a hg problem is by measuring for hydrocarbon gas coming out of the radiator cap. You can go about testing it with a gas analyzer(you'd have to go to a shop but it would only take a few minutes), or you can buy a tool that has fluid in it that you suck the air over the radiator and if it picks up hc content the fluid will change color.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
before you do that, why not pressure test the cooling system? autozone will rent you the tools and you get your money back

free test>paying for parts you may not need and extra work
I have a pressure tester but what exactly will that tell me? I thought that was just for checking leaks?

·
4,047 Posts
I have a pressure tester but what exactly will that tell me? I thought that was just for checking leaks?
yes, it will tell you youre losing it somewhere. no fluid outside, means its inside and will pin point the issue instead of guessing and hoping. you can hear it hiss from the rad cap, or if no sounds, and still losing pressure then headgasket.

but then again, after thinking out loud, youre pushing coolant, so the only other thing it can be is combustion leaking into it.... so....my bad?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts