Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had one laying around i been trying to sell forever so i figured what the fuck, ill give a go at porting it. I barely have even started with it and i realized i need to get me some more tools, like some tapered sanding drums and more flap wheels, let me know what ya'll think so far. Also, what have you guys used to bo chamber work as far as like smoothing it out and such

i <3 this pic

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

this is the intake port i started working on. DOnt worry i didnt really take anything from the port floor just hit it with the falpper so it has a uniform finish with the rest of the port.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Exhasut before

After

Intake before(the little bit of what looks like porting was there when i got it)

After

and one last shot for now

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
Just dont polish the Intake side nate. You want it a little rough to help atomize the fuel with the incoming air. Otherwise it looks good. Try and find the sanding drums that look like they're rolled. They seem to do the best job. You screw them onto a piece that has a screw on the end.

Also look into dimpling the reliefs at the top of the intake side where the injectors spray. Also helps to atomize fuel a lot more efficiently.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
those are the rolls im going to get that are taperd so i can hit the VG area better also the intake has just an 80 grit flap wheel on it now but i think it may be to smooth, not sure, might hit it with a 60 instead. As for the dimpling, i thought about it but than id have to get a 90* attachment for it and for the amount of work actually going into the head i doubt it will help that much so im gonna just skip that. Also i kinda knicked a few of the valve guides, but only on the edges, Will they be ok, there is no interferance with where the valve will travel but i wanna be sure

·
Registered
720 Posts
are you going to keep the guides that are in there? we always do the port work, than take out the old guides and than go back over the port work and than install new guides after we hone the new ones...

looks good so far, you can take out more material on the throat and the floor more, but looks nice, just dont give it a mirror finish to much..

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you going to keep the guides that are in there? we always do the port work, than take out the old guides and than go back over the port work and than install new guides after we hone the new ones...

looks good so far, you can take out more material on the throat and the floor more, but looks nice, just dont give it a mirror finish to much..
hmmm never thought of that, if they are easy to remove at home than ill take them out so i can do better work, i plan on taking more out of the throat but not alot on the floor, i just dont have the right drums to do it with, i made do with what i had for now

·
Registered
720 Posts
can you show what tools you are using...

the 1st tool i use is a hella cutting carbine bit (NF Burs is what is described as), than a more fine carbine bit (Double Cut is what it is described as), than sanding pads than last is a scotch bright pad like material, all of these are on long stems that connect to air die grinder

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im just using an electric dremel with variable speed and 60 grit sanding drums for now. Id love to have carbide burrs but damn they is expensive. Ill be getting a long stem piece when i get the new drums but for now im just using the standard length tools that come with a dremel kit.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
thnx port work is a passion that can easily be passed onto others..
Oh please bless me with your knowledge I might be doing this as well to either the motor that is in the car or the other build that is coming up that is definitely getting head work. Ill make sure you see the progress for your expertise.

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
The shit is hard to do with a run of the mill electric rotary tool. i don't have pics you seem to be doing a better job than i at this moment. sold the head i was working on.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
when porting those valve ports, are you going to have to use oversize valves? or you just barely taking anything off... just smoothing out...?? im thinking about taking my head off my car before next season, and porting out the exhaust side at least to help with turbo spool.. not too worried about the intake side right now

·
Registered
720 Posts
both sides are equally important, i wouldn't suggest porting one without the other, and as far as valve seats go, that is somthing you cannot do on your own, and you DEFF need a machinist to accomplish that for you...a bar minimum is 4 cuts, 3 in the head and one in the valves

·
El Noob
98 Civic EX/ 86 MR2
2,794 Posts
That is too clean slow. Keep us updated. I still need some work on my head by the valve seats. I might jump into it after the block is done. GL man.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks good Nate and Swiped rep for the good info your giving here
thanks john
The shit is hard to do with a run of the mill electric rotary tool. i don't have pics you seem to be doing a better job than i at this moment. sold the head i was working on.
not hard really i think, just need a steady hand and patience which i dont usually have but with this shit i have a ton
when porting those valve ports, are you going to have to use oversize valves? or you just barely taking anything off... just smoothing out...?? im thinking about taking my head off my car before next season, and porting out the exhaust side at least to help with turbo spool.. not too worried about the intake side right now
the part im porting does not actually have anything to do with the valve size becuase the valeve seats flare out so this really doesnt affect anything. Do both its not hard you just need patience and a steady hand
That is too clean slow. Keep us updated. I still need some work on my head by the valve seats. I might jump into it after the block is done. GL man.
thanks man. i started with a really clean head so that helps
Looks good can you post pics of the tools your using to do this ???
will do. ill probably wait till i get all my stuff here cuz i need new drums and flappers im all out

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i got a shit load done tonight, ive gone as far as i can without tapered rolls. Im ver pleased with the way its turning out though. What does everyone use for working in the comustion chamber? I wanna clean them up aswell. Sorry for the no pics im tired, had 2 exams today

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok guys heres some pics of what i got done so far. I have a Porting kit with tapered rolls and an extended mandrel on the way and i thunk im going to get me some carbides too. You can see what i havent done and thats because i cant get to that with what i have

1 - 20 of 104 Posts