Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curiousity got the better of me, and I decided to side gap my plugs.

bought 2 sets of NGK v-powers.

ran the first set, left at factory gap of 39 (effective 44, the V groove)

1k miles later, threw the side gapped plugs inside.

Right off the bat, noticed it fired up faster, and seemed to have a smoother idle.

Ignition coil, Ignition Control Module, Disty cap, Disty rotor all less than a year old.

NGK plug wires about 6 months old

various grounds have been cleaned and redone if necessary.

te car has as far as I am concerned, 100% up to date maintenance outside of timing belt and fuel pump sock filter (underhood filter year old)

Here are the pics. These are taken with one untouched new plug. I did NOT snap pictures of old plugs. THey are in a bin waiting to be used down the road if these side gappers start to misfire early. side gap increases risk of fouling, and they open gap from wear far faster. Some online forums state effective pluig life before regapping or replacement can be as low as 40k miles, which I dont give a shit, plugs once a year is fine.

PICTURES!!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Noob attempt? yes, so I dont give a fuck about being perfect. I was more concerned about having equal gap across all 4 rather than a specific gap.

Does the car run? yes. while it idles better, it seems to drive ONLY slightly better, if at all.

I do notice LESS exhaust aromas while sitting at a stoplight. No cat to speak of, so I tend to notice exactly when my car is warmed up or if still cold, and even if I have just been beating the snot out of it.

Thoughts are welcome. critisicms, well, be sure you have tried this yourself, and not simply read an online post.

Current car details:

165k 97 dx auto
d16y8 intake manifold, BLOX 6"-2.5" velocity stack -2.5" piping to throttlebody
ebay header
ebay testpipe
ebay 2.5" catback
OEM style walker muffler

ignition system maintained
fuel system very clean, lots of cleaner
newer fuel filter underhood
still 165k fuel pump sock filter

mad uber non-vtakz driver mod
poopy auto-tragic 4speed

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went on a decent drive down the highway. plenty of hills to see how the motor likes the new plugs.

Seems to pull uphill noticably better than before.

Also seemed to notice less gas being used, as the 45 minute trip didnt really touch the gas gauge much.

I like doing 5-6 full fuel tanks of driving to confirm mileage differences, so if I remember, I will update on that.

Overall, it seems to be a minor improvement, but much nicer idle and startup.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they look like old moped sparkplugs that used the ring contact for a spark rather than a strap.
Not really interested in using a costly plug.

these v-powers are 1.90 for me each

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lil update. Car seems to be doing a bit better. I wonder if it was busy burning off any crap in teh combustion chamber.

Im thinking of checking them when I change my oil next

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
The plugs that rocket supplies with his cam are cut also. Not as much as yours. He said he got some science behind it lol.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
shitty side gapped plugs lead to hot spots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts