Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at snow tires now it is snowing anyone try Falken Hs499 or blizzak Ws80, 185 55 r15 on 90 EF. Why am I getting my car painted now.

·
Registered
toy truck, sidekick,
7 Posts
I have a set of new blizzaks 185/65/14 I am trying on 1993 eg. soon. I will put newish studded 195/60/14 back on front for long distance. We have triple semis and steep passes, high wind. Still getting smoke from Paradise fire.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire rack rates The blizzacks well but they have 5.5 tread width vs 6.4 for the falkens. I need some dry road performance. if discount tire will mount and balance I will give the falkens a go. but I would still like to hear how the blizzaks work out. Oh its funny how some tires in the same size are such different sizes I read somewhere they are allowed to be 10 percent off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SNOW AUTOCROSS?
I used to live about 1/2 miles off the road up hill. My 4th gen hatch and wagon always made it up you just couldnt stop as lomg as they had snows. but I couldnt wait for spring and summer tires. I kind of like the snow now might be fun to go snow autocross. My EG build will be a rally build hopefully this winter will be short but if not might get to have some fun.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
General Altimax Artic 12 in 14" on 5-5.5" rims and done. 185/70/14, can even run them in the summer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The snow tire world exploded they were disapearing as I tried to put my set up together. I had to leave a good set of General Atimax 12s on my FIT when it was totaled to get my firehawk500s and rpf1's back. Yes I liked those General Snows had 2 sets they were made in Germany I think.

Went with 195/55R-15 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 XL on 15x7 et35 Sparco Terra LT GREY. I only went to the 15s because I can use the Sparco's as starter rally wheels for My EG, and I got them mounted balnced and center rings.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I realy apritiate Fiteen 52 wheels that can have the offset machined to your desire, but last time I checked they were low on stock and it takes 3 wekks so not an option. People were crawling down my hill last night need snows.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Nice and cold out but I just got the Snows delivered so that helps. The Sparcos seem ready for some snow fun, not the lightest wheels but they look tough enough for some beginning rally practice. The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 are super sticky even in the cold nice deep tread. Hmmm I will have to tune the E Brake for some nice snow slides have to get the Scandinavian flick down you never know when some emergency maneuvering will be required.

Oh If only the Body shop will finish up the EF this week!!!!!!!

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
333 Posts
Fwiw factory studded hakkas are AMAZING, but speaking of amazing isnt the difference in softness of these winter tires just that? Comparing my summer tires and jessicas michelin as tires (w 3 mts) w the winter tires has been enough to convince 2 of my friends to change over. Its crazy side by side!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzak is among the best winter tires to take into consideration. I plan to buy it in a few months to replace my Michelin Xi3 because I have been using it for 4 seasons now. I hope I can get it at discounted prices on stores like 4wheelonline.

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
333 Posts
Ok. Gotta speak up again.

Dont get blizzaks. We got them for our 90 trooper this past season and they SUCK compared to hakkas, and its not just the studs. Hakkas grip when theres some slip involved. Front end gives up in a corner? Apply power and they pull you where they are pointed. The blizzaks grip until they dont, and then they go straight.

Any slip angle at all and they give up. The hakkas make driving in the snow FUN. The blizzaks do great in normal driving and in deep snow but to get the front end back you have to straighten the wheel, brake slightly to transfer weight, and then turn again this time not exceeding their grip. The hakkas claw and grip even if you are already past their limit.

I was blown away at the difference and am glad my wife rides on hakka nines. I see why hakkas are the choice of ice racers...they feel like a track day tire for ice and snow. I will not buy blizzaks again. They had a premium price, and did not live up to the hype compared to the nokian set.

Compared to all seasons/AT, in 11 inches of fresh snow they do great. On plowed compact snow and ice a bit less so. If you drive all day at 2/10ths theyll be fine. But press into a corner at your own peril on the blizzaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.