Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok guys 1st off.. sorry if this should go in suspension.. but i figured this would be a good section....

any know reasons why my LCA (stock) and lower trailing arm would just snap?
I had the car sitting on side of street over the weekend and was driving around town. I came back home to find that i got some unwelcomed negative Camber...

I just wanna know if any of you guys have any idea whyt his may have happened? i never hit anything it was fine.. then after 2 days sitting it was like this. I was up on the sidewalk a little.. but i just dont know how steel would just snap from sitting..

Attachments

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
was the car lowered? any extra weight in the rear? looks like maybe bolt fatigue and excessive weight on the rear snapped the bolt. not sure

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah man.. its lowered on s techs so only about 1.5 drop. Springs and struts are only about 6 months old. Nothing is in the trunk at all. It was sittin up on the side walk alittle.. but still.. that shouldnt crack a thick steal peice... boggles my mind
think is its not just the bolt that snapped look close at the 3rd pic...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
did you find any signs of anyone messing with your wheels/trying to jack your car up?

maybe someone was trying to get the rims and messed it up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to be honest i was pissed and pretty much took the pictures showed my wife and left it alone. So i didnt really see any evidence of that. Its just bad timing for all of this.. baby is due in about 4 weeks :( ill check it out again today tho. But my wheels seemed fine. I mean if someone was trying to jack the wheels i would think there would be some damage to them done if this was the result..maybe next time if thats the case.. they should have just opened the car door since i left it unlocked. lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
damge to the car else where?

almost like someone hit your car....to make shit break like that, thats alot of force
nope.. no body damage. I would think that there would be.. but nope there is none... rear bumper is molded on.. I would think that it would bae jacked up in the rear..

All i know is that i did have a local shop here do the install of the struts. maybe somehow that affected this? im lost:wacko:

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
bumpy roads??? you said you rode up onto a curve a little... i think with a stiff suspension, and lowered, bumpy roads, puts alot of stress on the LCA's. it was just its time to break..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Az man.. we do have some bumpy roads.. thing is.. i havent hit any huge bumps or anything. i dont know.. I mean i guess it really doesnt matter how it happened at this point.. just gotta fix it. But even if its bumpy roads would that really snap these that easily? seems like it would be harder to snap..

I have heard of people hitting something at 45 mph and just bending them.. but to snap all together has got me confused!

plus i would think if i hit a pothole or somethign that bad.. my lip kit would be damaged too.

·
3,332 Posts
i dunno, or the shop tech could of over torqued it and fucked up the bolt. best bet is buy a new LCA bolt. check everything else make sure its ok and put it all back together and get an alignment

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i dunno, or the shop tech could of over torqued it and fucked up the bolt. best bet is buy a new LCA bolt. check everything else make sure its ok and put it all back together and get an alignment
think ill have any chance of having the shop take responsibility for this?
Problem would be proving this though

·
3,332 Posts
ya, id just replace the bolt and check and see if everything is ok suspension wise. and then just put it back together

·
Registered
509 Posts
is the bolt broken? is there a piee of the bolt still in the hole at all? if not than it was left loose by whoever had it apart last. if the bolt broke , thats just plain fucked up. under no circumstances should that bolt break. zero.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
by parking on that curb you put more force on that one wheel than the other one, effectively turning your car into a tricycle. so now instead of the weight being spead between 4 points, now spead between 3.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
is the bolt broken? is there a piee of the bolt still in the hole at all? if not than it was left loose by whoever had it apart last. if the bolt broke , thats just plain fucked up. under no circumstances should that bolt break. zero.
yeah man.. i didnt take a real god look at it this morning but I had it towed over to a shop. the head gasket was blown on the car also. Just getting it all done... then MAYBE selling it.

cervan- I think you may be right man.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts