Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my car a boosted 1997 Honda Civic with D16y8 engine. I was pulling up to a stop light and my car died. Tried to crank it over, no compression. I popped the hood and had coolant leaking from what looked like the head gasket in the front left section of the motor. I took it back to my house and pulled it apart, valves and pistons look okay still I think. Valves all seal and pistons look normal. But what could have caused the head gasket to go when the timing belt snapped? Also my timing belt didn't look bad, what could have caused it to break? Should I slap a new one on and hope for the best? Thanks!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
get the head milled. replace belt, tensioner, and water pump while youre there. engine could have gotten overheated when the water pump was no longer pushing water

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
straight edge the block and head

I doubt overheat is a concern, broken timing belt means no running, so no chance of serious overheating

timing belts snap 1 of 2 ways. age, or serious engine bucking (terrible misfire, serious detonation, etc..) even then, age is 99% reason of timing belt failure

if the belt looked like dogshit, you are porbably fine with jsut doing the belt.

However, take the opportunity to send the ehad in to get inspected. it will probably need valve stem seals and valve guides anyways. and a fresh valve cut probably would not hurt if you can source some valve spring shims

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea why the coolant would start leaking though? Not even sure it was from the head gasket, it didn't look bad when I pulled it. But I had coolant pouring from the front of the engine, looked like it was coming from the block right in front of the distributor

·
4,471 Posts
that is the water neck. check from broken hose, loose bolts, gasket ect ect

·
4,471 Posts
lol, yeah. I did a double take at the photobucket name lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts