Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was doing a valve cover gasket job just now, and i accidently tighten the bolt too tight and the bolt snap, the long one that goes furthers away from the hood. One of them snapped at the bottom end of the bolt and now i have 4 screws instead of 5 to the valve cover, i noticed when i removed one of the bolt it was very noisy and a bit oil spitting out.
im freaking out,,

will it leak?

can i just glue it back and let it leak forever if it got a leak?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
it will leak. will it be enough to worry about?

how far down did you snap it?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,471 Posts
meh. small drill bit down the center and an easy out will probably get it done.

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,209 Posts
Which head is this? Non Vtec? A6? B7? Or Vtec? Z6, Y8, etc.?

It will leak...but if you use some gasket sealer around that area, you can get by until you are able to remove the rest of the bolt like slo_eg8 said.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which head is this? Non Vtec? A6? B7? Or Vtec? Z6, Y8, etc.?

It will leak...but if you use some gasket sealer around that area, you can get by until you are able to remove the rest of the bolt like slo_eg8 said.
Its the Z8 head, but should i drill with a left handed one?

·
Registered
'93 / '95 Del Sol Si - '95 DX Coupe - '00 Accord EX F23 Manual
2,209 Posts
For some reason, I couldn't see the pic the first time around.

Yeah, you can buy the kits at parts stores to remove them. They sell different sizes for different size bolts. They are also pretty cheap because they're usually for one-time use. I have the feeling that is going to be your best bet.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,456 Posts
Left hand drill bit.......

And for the next time, grab the 1/4" ratchet with 6" extension and 10mm socket, place it between your middle finger and ring finger, like the T bar setup. 108 in/lbs or 9 ft/lbs is hard to achieve with that low leverage grip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it out today. I couldnt drill it because the bolt snapped in an angel. So i drilled a bit at the side and used a screwdriver and hammer. Small damage around the area but i got it out and the threads remained undamaged so. I will update if there is some leak upcoming week/s

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats on gettin that sucker removed! I had the same break when changin my VC gasket n tune up a cpl months ago. Super frustrating! I was able to use 5/32 drill bit and 1/8 extractor, worked flawlessly. Fingers crossed for you, no leaks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts