Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snapped arp head stud i overtorqued it to 75 lbs using 10w/30 it is the center stud on the exhaust manifold side how can i get this thing out or do you think i can just put the head on without that stud and see what happens

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
lol, no you cant run it without that stud, how did you over trq it? never heard of an arp breaking... i trq mine to 75ft lbs

·
Premium Member
92 civic cx hatch
1,012 Posts
cant you grab onto it with some vise grips and twist it outward shouldnt be to tight in the hole. just have to order another stud from ARP

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
cant you grab onto it with some vise grips and twist it outward shouldnt be to tight in the hole. just have to order another stud from ARP

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cannot get it with vicegrips has anyone ever had this problem and how did they remedy the situation i need help

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am thinking of indenting it with a punch and drilling it and then using a extractor but i do not want the extractor to break so if you have done this before help guide me through it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hand tightened them down and put the head on and they did not come through the head so i adjusted them (loosened) them so the would be high enough is that wrong maybe its the wrong kit help

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
they should come up through the head about ------- much

you only twist them down into the block until there are no threads left to go into the block. you could twist them down into the block by hand... they dont have to tight.. the nuts on top is what you tighten to 70-75 foot lbs

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thats what i was thinking to but was not sure but yeah i hope i can get this bolt out i will let you know what happens thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks so tomorow i am going to go at it with a carbide masonry bit and then using a high quality extractor to hopefully get it out i will also ask arp for any advice. Does anyone know what type of metal the studs actually are

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Yeah, this is a first hearing about an ARP studs actually breakin in half. They usually just tear up the aluminum threads first if anything.

·
Registered
838 Posts
i snapped a arp headstud as well. I did drill into it and extracted it. replaced it with a stock head bolt. Didnt have any problems with it for 2 yrs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I snapped arp head stud i overtorqued it to 75 lbs using 10w/30 it is the center stud on the exhaust manifold side how can i get this thing out or do you think i can just put the head on without that stud and see what happens
what brand torque wrench?and was it calibrated recently?i'm just curious because i have gone up to 80ftlbs with arp's using my snapon wrench and had no issues

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mac tools torque wrench what type of drill bit do i use i am trying carbide bit masonry but the bolt is jagged and i cant get the bit to hit the middle

1 - 20 of 31 Posts