Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum but in need of some help. I have a D15B7 boosted with 7 lbs. My car runs like a champ but has the common low range RPM smoke problem. The flange on the turbo, I pointed at it, has a restrictor type hole. There is no oil restrictor from the block. I ordered a .065 oil restrictor for that side. Could this fix my smoking problem? My ECU is tuned and I'm running DSM injectors so I have required fuel specs. I heard I might have to much oil pressure and need to restrict it. IDK Thanks in advance for input.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Only low rpm ? Because high rpm is more pressure and thats when she should smoke the most. And dont add another restrictor you wont have enough oil then. U can try 1 smaller one but dont run 2 together.
Also how is your drain looking? And ever smoke before the turbo? Low rpm/ stop to take off smoke is normally valves.

*edit fix spelling damn cellphone kb.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have seen issues with pcv valve sticking open or even not being their, it will pull the oil out of the case and into the intake, possible the vaccum before you come into boost or loose the vacuum in the intake. just a possibility?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I thought of boring out the flange and adding the suggested oil restrictor. Also, would a new PVC valve fix the sticking open problem?

·
Registered
53 Posts
It looks very much like an ebay turbo, you probably need to have the seals replaced and the unit balanced in addition to using an oil restrictor and checking your oil return line into the oil pan.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it's a Garrett, it says so in big letters and price lol. Already destroyed an eBay POS and learned my lesson. I rebuilt this one about a month ago and it's been worth it. I'll try the restrictor 1st and see what happens. Wish me luck and thanks again for the input

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No numbers or threads but the guy I bought from had slideshows of the build on his facebook. I broke the eBay turbo mentioned when I was rebuilding it and bought a Garrett P trim T3T4 and have loved it ever since. I need to figure out this stupid smoking issue so I can further what I would like to do. I don't want a beast that smokes horribly lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replaced the PCV valve which lessened the smoke but not by much. I noticed a little oil on the compressor side (pictured) Hopefully the new oil restrictor will solve this. I did rebuild the turbo and added a 360 degree thrust bearing with a step gap turbine seal so I know its not the turbo itself. I believe its my oil pressure. This is my first turbo project I'm learning as I go. Again thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's had around 4,000 on the engine and maybe 100 on the turbo. I used synthetic as soon as I put the turbo on, I heard I shouldn't have done that.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It's had around 4,000 on the engine and maybe 100 on the turbo. I used synthetic as soon as I put the turbo on, I heard I shouldn't have done that.
Well the argument is that synthetics being high detergent oils will hold any bits of metal from break in "in the oil" where as conventional will let it fall to the bottom. Honestly though, putting good oil in your car to break it in probably won't hurt it.

2x on high zinc oil.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Yea u need normal oil to help seal the seals so to speak. Also 100miles isnt much. You might just need to drive it some more. And any videos of the amount of smoke? A cloud a trail..

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Yea u need normal oil to help seal the seals so to speak. Also 100miles isnt much. You might just need to drive it some more. And any videos of the amount of smoke? A cloud a trail..
Yeah, a vid would be good.

You have a link to his FB? Even if he's private, I'll friend him just to check
it out. Hah.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok after a couple failures I decided to pull of the hose on the Intake Manifold that runs from the PCV valve and what do you know, smoking stops. Now my question is what is a decent oil catch can that's not expensive?

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Ok after a couple failures I decided to pull of the hose on the Intake Manifold that runs from the PCV valve and what do you know, smoking stops. Now my question is what is a decent oil catch can that's not expensive?
ebay or diy can.

Also you know that means that the oil was being sucked up into that line and into the cylinders and being burnt under high vac. Which makes sense because you only smoked at low rpm when there is high vac vs high rpm when there is low vac or boost.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts