Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
civic hatch
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys I know I haven't been on in like a yr but I need some help .. Ok I picked up a 98 civic lx a few days ago .. The lady I got it from got it really hot over and over. So I just went to jdm in Dallas and got a new engine to put in it .. I got a d15b obd2 engine and of course I had to remove the timing belt and put in the crank sensor and all that .. But anyways after one whole day I got the intake,flywheel ,transmission and everything swapped over..the car runs great doesn't get hot or anything like that .. But it's smoking it can set and idle all day and never smokes .. But as soon as u drive it .. It's really bad .. But it doesnt smell like oil smoke .. Maybe antifreeze ? Idk I checked the compression and it's about 180 all the way across ... The car has no cat on it. Is it possible the exhaust pipe is causing it ? It was full of water and oil .. I figured it would smoke at first like all jdm motors do .. But it hasn't .. Any ideals ??? Oh and sorry for the book lol

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Take the head off and inspect the head gasket

·
Registered
civic hatch
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But would the compression be that good with a bad head gasket ? Like I said it don't get hot and it don't smoke when it idles

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
How's your coolant overflow reservoir? Check if you're pushing coolant

·
Registered
civic hatch
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's hard to tell from before when the car had a cracked head .. It's stained brown already .. But if the cap is off when u rev it up it shoots everywhere but that just means the thermostat is open right ?

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
Like i said the easiest way to tell is to take the head off and inspect everything. Felpro hg cost about 30 bucks nowadays

·
Registered
civic hatch
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I guess I'll try that .. Before I pull it back out and drive 2 hrs to exchange it for another one .. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
71 Posts
is it just residual from the last motor? i had one smoke for a few days to burn all of the Coolant out of the exhaust, id do a leak down test and not a compression test, that will tell you more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts