Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for me to get my 93 EX with I/H/E smoged here in California.
The question that I have is do I need to do any alterations since I have Airmass headers (with O2 sensor) and cold air intake? I am not worried about the rest since my Cat is Carsound and the rest of exhaust is intact and don't think anyone will notice the J's racing chip. I will return the ignition to stock 16btc before the test and will increase the idle slightly since it idles a bit low (500-600's). Any suggestions from past experience? Anyone passed smog with above mods?
I am getting a bit anxious since I only have 30 days left and testing in California is strict. Also if anyone knows a good inexpensive smog station on Peninsula (bay area).
Much appreciate your time.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
with that chip in your car i would not doubt that your NOX emissions are gonna be high:beer:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chip shouldn't effect smog.

J's chip changes fuel settings and timing but at higher revs so I don't see how it should effect smog.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
whiteex said:
J's chip changes fuel settings and timing but at higher revs so I don't see how it should effect smog.
ok smog it, and let's see!:beer:

·
Registered
369 Posts
do whatever you can to lean the car out. they don't take it past 4k and past 35 mph. its obd 1 and they don't plug into it. they can't detect the chip.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
CivicY8 said:
do whatever you can to lean the car out. .
leaning it out will increase the NOX emissions, better to run it a little fat and make sure to drive the car for 30mins prior to the test.
keep the car running and have em get on the rollers quickly, that way the cat is nice and hot. some places will put it on the rollers and do the same but i guess it just depends on where you go:beer:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cutting the J1?

Does the chip really make a difference at lower rpm's when it comes to smog? Also should I leave my cold air intake on or revert to stock? Is cold air intake part of the visual inspection?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
if it's not CARB certified, then yes, put the stock box back on. it doesn't need to be bolted down everywhere though. save you some trouble there.

the chip could make a difference... better safe than waste your time.

·
i save your ass when you wreck
94 hatchback cx
6,693 Posts
id just take the chip out just to be on the safe side so you dont waste the time or the money

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cut J1

do I cut J1 jumper and leave the chip in place? Or do I take the chip out also after cutting J1.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
cut J1, and if u kno how to solder, solder a switch in for it.... drill a hole in the ecu to mount the switch and presto.... all u do is flip a switch for smog. As far as passing smog... as long as your engine is in relatively good shape, and your sensors are good you should pass.

I took my 92 with a D15B (JDM) and a P08 (JDM) ECU to a test-only station recently. My Ecu has No O2 heater, no Atmospheric Pressure sensor, and no Purge solenoid activation/controll; The guy had no clue my engine was smog illegal.... Didn't care about my headers, looked for evap and purge solenoid for visual inspection, and hooked it up... warmed it up real good for like 15 min, and started the test. It didnt pass right away, and he had to try 2 runs... I failed... bad Cat.... due to the fact I rran my car 4% lean for 2 years. I learned my mistake there. Anyways, a cat fitted to flanges an hour later... hooked it back up to the machine... presto.... it didn't even do the test at a higher speed... it passed me within 15-25 sec of running the test... the timer didn't even run out. I managed to pass with an impossible to pass setup and ECU..... so anything is possible.

After it passed, I pulled the test pipe off ther passengerside floor, and held it up... and the guy laughed replying "I dont care what you do after the test, as long as you pass the test!" as I started to unbolt my cat in the parkinglot right after he backs it off the dyno! This goes to show, most test-only's are just out there to make their money.. they dont care about the laws =)

You should pass pretty well as long as your cat aint tired and your sensors report correctly!

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
JaredKaragen said:
I took my 92 with a D15B (JDM) and a P08 (JDM) ECU to a test-only station recently. My Ecu has No O2 heater, no Atmospheric Pressure sensor, and no Purge solenoid activation/controll; The guy had no clue my engine was smog illegal.... Didn't care about my headers, looked for evap and purge solenoid for visual inspection!
you mean your emissions equipment was illegally set-up. now japanese motors are LEGAL replacement engines in Calif. provided they meet the same year or newer criteria:beer:

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
NastyHabitzCRX said:
with that chip in your car i would not doubt that your NOX emissions are gonna be high:beer:
The only things that effect NOX(oxides of Nitrogen)are EGR(which most Hondas don't have)higher than normal combustion temps and the catalytic converter.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
j1

so Jared, what you are saying is all I need is to disable the J1 by putting a switch or just cutting the J1 and not pull the chip? I got a CarSound cat on my car and just changed my cold air back to stock. It was easy to switch the cold air intake. Oh yeh, I retarded my timing to 14btc from 18 btc (stock is 16btc) since retarding timing helps to pass emission control from my old smog days. I am kind of new to chips and wasn't sure if my J's chip would effect the emissions. It is running leaner with the chip and my economy improved 2mpg (average 36mpg city/hwy).
I will install a switch tonight. Thank you all for helping me out.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yeah who knows what the chips maps are which isnt good. Usually it will give more fuel but advance timing a good amount. So you might be fine with it but i would run stock for the ecu. You will pass otherwise if you have a good working catalytic converter.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
DirtyDEF said:
The only things that effect NOX(oxides of Nitrogen)are EGR(which most Hondas don't have)higher than normal combustion temps and the catalytic converter.
right, i was saying though, that the chip more than likely has more timing on it. and is probably gonna shoot the NOX readings up a little since running more timing usually leans the car out.
lean burn conditions usually equal more NOX due to the heat. the ECU is gonna trim the settings even despite the chip itself to try and compensate but not just elimnate it out of the picture. that should he fail, he can concentrate on maybe a new cat or o2:beer:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It Passed

:p
yehhhhh, I put a switch across J1 to disable the chip for the test and retarded my timing to 14btc from 18btc (16 is stock) and my car passed in flying colors. Ran like shit though since retarding timing slows you down.
Now I am installing everything back to how it was.
Thank you all for your help. You guys are the best and the reason for keeping my civic around. Many times I feel like purchasing a newer car but like my civic too much. I also own newer Odyssey and ne 2door Coupe Accord that my wife drives but still think Civic rocks.

·
Ferio inspired
90' Civic sedan
2,441 Posts
:mikej: awesome glad you passed. emissions in cali are a bitch.:beer:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NastyHabitzCRX said:
you mean your emissions equipment was illegally set-up. now japanese motors are LEGAL replacement engines in Calif. provided they meet the same year or newer criteria:beer:

Not really...

the emissions equipment was missing (in the ECU) and not functioning (because of the ECU).

California CHP will red-flag you for non-emissions legal if you have a D15B.

Plain and simple. 2 days before the swap I got pulled over, and the officer checked the look of the 7 on D15B7 about 10 seperate times. He kept checking to see if it was stamped on it afterwards. He kept asking me if anything was changed on the car.... I kept telling him, NO... look, the headers have a plate with EO on them, and my intake is clearly an AEM.

Along with the D15B, the ZC will also get you red flagged. You will have no choice but to get your car inspected.

The reason JDM motors are flagged, are because in japan they come without smog parts on them..... (Purge, APS, Etc.) and therefore they are classified as non emissions legal parts. They dont care if you add your parts to the motor to add the emissions equipment, it's because the the emissions that came on that motor were non conformitave... so you cant use the motor.

This being because in order to use the motor you have to include all the emissions equipment and parts from that make/year.... which JDM does not have.

It does not apply to all JDM motors, just the ones that are clearly not USDM.

I have talked to many CHP about the JDM stuff... they are pretty smart when it comes to the details and specs of these motors. Even if you have the hood locked and covered, they can red flag you for not showing them.... I think that is BS because of the "lock-and-key" laws.

enough of the threadjacking, but:

To answer back =) No problems for the help! Let me know how it goes!

If you were close to San Jose I would recommend a Check Only that passed my car, and even watched me bold in my test-pipe after the smog while he laughed at me saying "I dont care what you do after the smog, as long as it passes" =)

F.Y.I. These test only stations dont care about smog, or repairs... they just want their $$$ =)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts