Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been doin some searchin and i heard that smaller turbos spool faster but bigger turbos have more powerful boost. now i was just lookin for some help, i am only lookin to run maybe 8-10 psi and i was wondering if a smaller turbo would be perfect for this because it spools so fast. would anyone have an idea what turbo i should use any help will help since i am a NOOOOB

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
check out the turbo stickies at the top of the page. that will definitely help answer your question. if you still have questions after, let us know

·
The H Badge is it!
5,657 Posts
momo98si said:
i have been doin some searchin and i heard that smaller turbos spool faster but bigger turbos have more powerful boost. now i was just lookin for some help, i am only lookin to run maybe 8-10 psi and i was wondering if a smaller turbo would be perfect for this because it spools so fast. would anyone have an idea what turbo i should use any help will help since i am a NOOOOB
8-10 psi on stock motor or built?

a smaller turbo spools faster but doesnt have much of a top end, but the larger turbos spool slower and have a higher top end.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i am running a d16y8. i was gonna go stock because someone told me a d16y8 could handle 8 psi min on stock. i am only lookin for a reliable engine but still has some pep when you step on it, maybe a little over 200whp. the only reason for this is because i live in ontario, canada and we have stupid emissions over here

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
t3 50 trim! Or a 14b.. Depends. I would go w/ T3 though you can find them anywhere and dont have too worry about adapter plates and shit..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i am sorry, but doesn't a t3 have internal wastegate? but i guess it won't really matter because i am not gonna be running alot of boost...yet?

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
It depends...
They can come internally and externally gated.

If you are not looking to make a crazy amount of power I'd just get an internally gated turbo to keep things simple.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
momo98si said:
i am sorry, but doesn't a t3 have internal wastegate? but i guess it won't really matter because i am not gonna be running alot of boost...yet?
Mine came internal, I took it off made the DP blocking internal port off then I put Tial External.. not very hard..

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
berettagtz117 said:
t3 50 trim! Or a 14b.. Depends. I would go w/ T3 though you can find them anywhere and dont have too worry about adapter plates and shit..
Rather than a 14b I'd try to get a 13T off a WRX. Flows similer to a 14b but has a tighter A/R for faster spooling.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is another question, i have been lookin for turbos on ebay because we don't really have any performance shops around here, would any one be selling a good used turbo or perhaps a new one. if so my only way of payment is paypal, thanks for anything.

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
post up in the want to buy section, and i'm sure you'll get some offers. otehrwise check out homemadeturbo.com. there's ALWAYS guys selling turbos on there.

D

·
0 Posts
More in depth questions...what is big? and what is small? and which side is bigger or smaller than the other. The turbo has two sides:
In really simple terms the exhaust side is the spool/restriction side and the cold side is the flow/hp side.
The hot side you need to look at the size for spool vs exhaust restriction. I really like a .48 on a honda non vtec and a .63 on the DOHC VTEC motors. But you just have to look at the whp you want to make and go from there. A .63 will take longer to spool, but will have alot more flow in the top end. A .48 will out spool it but for big hp setups it will restrict the exhaust too much. Kinda like trying to make 240 whp n/a on a stock header. These sizes mentioned are good street DD setups, you prolly wanna go bigger on a full race or somethng but that isn't my area.)

I have to run out of town so I can pickup a winter driver so if anyone wants to explain the cold side please do.

O

·
0 Posts
if your only looking for 8-10 psi then get he new greddy kit witj the em-anage and that'll support your needs. you can hit 180-220 wheel power with 8-10psi.

·
Registered
235 Posts
thats not the case,my brother is runing a 240sx wth a t-70 with a smaller exhuast housing and it spools u faster.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
25,544 Posts
x2dg said:
thats not the case,my brother is runing a 240sx wth a t-70 with a smaller exhuast housing and it spools u faster.
a lot of difference in displacement between a 1.6 Honda and a 2.4 Nissan, even the sr20 are still a bit bigger and will spool a turbo faster

D

·
0 Posts
x2dg said:
Yes the smaller the housing the quicker the spool

1 - 18 of 18 Posts