Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
I thought twin scroll were mainly used for bigger turbos to help spool them faster...do you have a twin scroll manifold?for the hp your aiming for why not do a 50trim??

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought twin scroll were mainly used for bigger turbos to help spool them faster...do you have a twin scroll manifold?for the hp your aiming for why not do a smaller 50trim??
I have recently (link) been turned on the the benefits of twin scrolls (outside of the possibilty of fast-ish spool with big turbos).

If I could get a T3 50 Trim in with smallish A/R in the twin scroll variety, I would.
Mini Cooper S uses a small Twin Scroll... But it only makes like 160bhp..

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
I thought twin scroll were mainly used for bigger turbos to help spool them faster...do you have a twin scroll manifold?for the hp your aiming for why not do a 50trim??
Should help a smaller turbo as well.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Well since every twin scroll manifold Ive ever seen for a honda has paired the wrong cylinders together, Im gonna say there is no point.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Evo4 and up have smaller twin scroll turbos. You will need a custom manifold, or at least a custom flangerator.

·
Registered
'97 crv
1,467 Posts
Well since every twin scroll manifold Ive ever seen for a honda has paired the wrong cylinders together, Im gonna say there is no point.
Sorry to bump an older thread.

But I came across this little gem while cruising the ebays. B16 B18 SERIES TOP MOUNT T4 TURBO STAINLESS MANIFOLD | eBay

It pairs 1&4 and 2&3. Top mount twin scroll manifold, but has a B flange on it.

I'm not really in the market for a new turbo setup at the moment but I thought it was really cool and worth noting.

Is this piece worth its salt?

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Anything T4 isn't going to spool good for something only making 250whp.

If you want deadly spool and a good top end, ebay cast manifold, SP quick spool valve, divided T3 50 trim. Then you'll be taking full advantage of the divided housing.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
A ball bearing T25 turbo will hit 300whp on a well tuned and cammed motor

twinscroll is jsut another term for TOO MUCH INVESTED

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Evo's had twin-scroll turbos, right? They're not making that much over 250whp, stock, and shouldn't be expensive considering many guys are going for bigger turbos. I already have dibs on my neighbor's E9-MR turbo if he ever gets rid of it ;)

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
mitsubishi used ball bearing T25's, read a book.

most rebuild kits use a sleeve bearing, so observation is a must.

find me another 300whp capable turbo that is under $500

·
Registered
1992 Civic Si
1,671 Posts
Show me one of those mitsu T25s hitting 300whp, or even OP's target of 250whp.

Show me where you can BUY one for "500 dollars" brand new.

·
Registered
60 Posts
for a non ball bearing option the Precision t3/t4 50 trim with the .63 A/R and stage 3 wheel is a tried and true unit.

Titan Motorsports Blog 5431B

You can find it for around 550. Was gonna use it on a b16 build. Did a ton of research to get to this. And it will outperform any Mitsubishi turbo. This is my learning thread from hondatech.com

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2902521

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
ct-26 would work perfect for your power levels. Member ricetastic here made 238rwhp and 287 ft/lbs with a twin scroll ct-26.

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anything T4 isn't going to spool good for something only making 250whp.

If you want deadly spool and a good top end, ebay cast manifold, SP quick spool valve, divided T3 50 trim. Then you'll be taking full advantage of the divided housing.
Where to find twin scroll T3 housing?

ct-26 would work perfect for your power levels. Member ricetastic here made 238rwhp and 287 ft/lbs with a twin scroll ct-26.
Subaru turbo, right?

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
Where to find twin scroll T3 housing?
not sure about 'twin scroll' but holsets come with a divided t3 housings.
h1c w/18cm for instance...

·
Registered
Duramax
29 Posts
The holset turbine housings are twin scroll, But the only way to get good spool up with a D is the bep 70ar housing which is a single scroll.. Holsets are cheap as hell though..

1 - 20 of 145 Posts