Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm told two things.

One is that at cruise you'll never see much/any boost until you tip into it and exhaust volume increases.

Others (all ebay turbo dudes so big turbos) say a small turbo will be spooled all the time and will cost mpg, whereas they don't get into it til 4k and say they save gas

Anyone running a gt17 or .42/.48 to3 / other similarly all-in-by-3k turbos have input? Ppl think I'm stupid to be happy w all the fun ending at 6k AND having minivan mpg.

I've read up on ecomodder but let's be real. I'm not putting a lancer evo turbo on anytime soon but it has me thinking there's validity to the big turbo guys arguments....I'm not sure.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Done right a tiny turbo will help MPG, I've wanted to do it.

But I've also ran into the "know it alls" on ecomodder that save my old 53 MPG DX EG HB wasn't possible....so I gave up on them. I was wanting to try a tiny VW/Audi turbo (K03?) when they do a common K04 upgrade.

I could be wrong on those numbers....it has been a while. HF manifold (I have one) with a tiny scroll then learn how to drive it for best MPG was a plan for my CRX....but that will never happen.

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
The main factor is the tune and the right foot. I ran a t3 60 trim .42/.48 and only got about 32-36mpg but my tune was crap and I was always racing around. I've seen others with the same turbo getting 42mpg on the same engine

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a .42/48 45 trim with a .694 fifth and 4.21 final drive.

I'd get 3-4 psi with light throttle at 2400-2600 in fifth, mostly when going up hill.

Switched to an EBAY TO4E 50 trim because I worked the little guy a little to hard and started leaking out the exhaust seal.

The bigger turbo gives me 2-3 psi at 3000ish with light throttle.

I miss the little guy, It's a lot more enjoyable to drive.
A common mistake is tuning light load boost too rich, even though you'r in boost a rich mixture isn't always necessary.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
The tiny Audi's I mentioned above, the were tuned from the factory to still get great gas mileage at zero boost/vac, but it take a steady foot. Keeping the throttle in ONE position is the biggest key to better MPG....

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I did it,

Just touching 65 MPG, running 16:5 AFR and 45-50 degrees of timing.At about 4500~70mph~ 0 vacuum

Using a 1.00x4.0 FD/5th, .60 cold.48 hot T3 super 60 or something close

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So .42/48 45 trim seems a bit small for most of my driving, would probably be seeing boost a lot, and all I find is labelled a 50 or 51 trim on the ebaze

How does this compare size wise to a gt17, I'm only shooting for 155-175 hp and ebay .42/.58 50 trim t3 says 350 hp

If boosting a bit is what's gonna happen at a 3k cruise on the interstate I guess I'll deal.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
you only make boost when your accelerating.
as soon as you lift (or back off the throttle) you're back in vacuum

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Big turbo, small turbo, two turbos, ALL THE TURBOS. if you stay out of it, be conscious of your want to get good MPG, and you'll be fine. I ran a .42/.48 at 12psi making halfass decent power on a Z6 and still got 40+ MPG. It sounds like you want to go super fast all the time and get good MPG. One or the other my man, if you can find the balance you'll be able to do your spirited driving and still get 30+.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nah all fast all the time isn't my thing, I just don't wanna be boosting and using fuel to excess while cruising at regular speeds. I love my current economy.

If habits are what it comes down to then that's cool, my habits tend towards economy as is. So as stated w steady input and learning what works best w my setup even a small turbo shouldn't be boosting much at cruise.

If this gets an in town mpg boost too my wife is gonna let me do her 4 door as well : )

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
what transmission are you using?

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Short 5th B000 box

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
I just don't wanna be boosting and using fuel to excess while cruising at regular speeds.
as i said before, you only make boost when you accelerate...
i can drive around all day without hitting the boost.

Short 5th B000 box
good for accelerating, not so much for mileage...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
as i said before, you only make boost when you accelerate...
i can drive around all day without hitting the boost.

good for accelerating, not so much for mileage...
Why is it bad for mpg? Aquafina was getting 45+ mpg spinning a D16Y7 at 4000+ rpm on the highway...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Why is it bad for mpg? Aquafina was getting 45+ mpg spinning a D16Y7 at 4000+ rpm on the highway...
PSSSHHHH mediocre....

If that shit aint lean bucking, theres too much gas and not enough timing..!!

AHAHAHAH

"You thinkk einstein went around thinking averybody was a buncha dumb shits?"

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Short 5th as in my 5th gear is shorter than the b000 box we put in our 4 door so its the si one? It gets 43 as is, maintaining 40+ mpg at 3k cruise is a priority

1 - 20 of 32 Posts