Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently gathering the parts I need to turbo my stock d16y7. Today I did a compression test and got between 150-160 across all cylinders. I think tried a wet test with oil and got 180 so I assume the tings are a bit worn is it safe to turbo or should I replace the rings? Thanks ahead of time for the help!

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,935 Posts
Compression tests aren't all that great and will only tell you if something is majorly wrong. As long as the cylinders are within a few PSI of each other, you're probably fine. A cylinder leakage tester would be the better method.

Really depends what your expectations of this engine are. If you want it to be "bulletproof" and want to beat the shit of out it without worrying, tear it down and replace the rings, bearing, gaskets, etc..

If you're on a budget and just wanna have some fun with what you've got, slap that bitch on and ride it until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks I don't mind doing a little work but what I don't wanna do is pull out the engine can I get away with just pulling the head dropping the pan pushing out the pistons and throwing on new rings is that even worth it?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,045 Posts
find a spare block to start building for when yours gives up the ghost. Id rather hone and add new rings at minimum. at most, full overhaul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks probably going to do rods pistons and bearings now I think I'm going to want more power anyways. Quick question after checking compression and taking the valve cover off the paint it I'm not getting any spark at all brand new plug wires too cranks fine and gets gas what could it be?

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
975 Posts
Okay thanks probably going to do rods pistons and bearings now I think I'm going to want more power anyways. Quick question after checking compression and taking the valve cover off the paint it I'm not getting any spark at all brand new plug wires too cranks fine and gets gas what could it be?
your problem is probably between the steering wheel and driver seat...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts