Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i ended up getting rid of the td04hl setup on my turbo d15b7 and i put a garrett t3 m1 turbo on it. It's set to open at ~9 psi. My question to you is, how come I can spool through 1st gear, and once I hit 2nd gear and the car is under load and throttle, the car seems like it spark knocks -really- bad? Like... how to explain this... you give it throttle in 2nd gear, get to about 4k rpms and about ~9 on psi, and it sounds like it's formula 1 rev limiting, but not so loud. Sounds like a really fast paced, unguided fart.

I can run 1st gear out to like ~6k and eventually it will begin doin that, but in 2nd gear and up, under load, and building boost, it's terrible sounding. The car is in champ condition, it has -zero- head noise and the compression is 100% across the board, I'm wondering if the new turbo is actually pushin just too much boost and it's leaning out? I had 12 psi on the TD04HL. I drove home on the highway and it was a bitch to even keep it at 70. It would seem like the power is dying down, etc. I got home and popped the hood, and some of the snail and the center of the manifold was faintly glowing, so I'm assuming it's running hotter than it used to (even though I just put a step cooler plugs in it).

Any input appreciated, thxxxx

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
umm is it tuned?
if it was tuned with the other turbo and your now running a different bigger turbo its not going to be tuned anymore.
if thats the case your prolly leaning out like a son of a bitch hence the knock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm not 100% sure it's knock that's why I'm curious. I think I will try tossing a boost controller on that ho and seeing what happens if I cut the boost down to like 6 until I can get it retuned.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
i'm not 100% sure it's knock that's why I'm curious. I think I will try tossing a boost controller on that ho and seeing what happens if I cut the boost down to like 6 until I can get it retuned.
what ever the wastegate is at alone is the lowest it will go.
is it externally gated? or internally?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
is this tuned or what man? if you are on a stock ecu..lol

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
thats prob the problem. you cant just trade turbos and use the same tune dude. `st gear will rev higher cause its less load, cam is open for very little time each spin, so less air goes in, compared to 2nd gear an up. need a tune. end thread/

·
Registered
37 Posts
bigger turbo= more airflow at the same psi thus needing more fuel,
if your running the same fuel maps that were for the tdo4hl
then your leaning it out. so if i were you dont go onto boost until you get it tuned.
regardless of psi your still gonna be running lean on boost. i thinnk =P

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no i've pulled the plugs and they're dark brown which is confusing as shit so i'm not hwolly leaning out (although i'd like black over brown tbh LOL) this whole ordeal is super confusing.

Anyone got a chipped ECU to sell me? :D no local tuners.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
who cares if they arent local, drive to them on vacuum. just because they are black doesnt mean you are fine. you can also dump TO MUCH fuel into a cylinder and cause detontion to. you are prob super fucking rich at idle, and soon as boost hits, super fucking lean. but when i did run my base maps for months, i went thru spark plugs like every other week. try plugs so u can keep dogging it to pop her!!, oh if your ecu is already chipped, u dont need another ecu, just goto xenocron.com tell them ur setup, he will send a basemap for it. but thats still gonna run like SHIT. they dump alot of fuel, and no timing. which is dangerous to. Dumping alot of fuel at idle will wash the oil off the walls, which makes metal on metal, so bye bye rings. and pistons gettin scarred up alogn with walls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok so upon further inspection i actually found out that somebody capped off the wannabe stock FPR that comes off the manifold to the rail. I plugged that back in and holy shit what a world of difference. It runs like a champion now. Still gonna consider gonig somewhere and getting it tuned though, not gonna take any chances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts