Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have a T3/T4 kit. On a D16z6 motor with 8:5.1 pistons and Eagle rods. Intercooler, 450cc injectors, 190lph fuel pump. Porting and polish onthe exhaust side of the head. Along with some smaller things, like heat wraps and a the like. Now, nothing is done to the block. I have read a million times that a D series block and crank are extremely well built. Being this motor won't be a drag motor, just a daily driver. What's everyones opinion about the block. Is it really a must to get a Block Guard? What would happen if I didn't, if I did need it? Just shortin the life of the motor? I'm not to familiar with the block so any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i think the overall opinion on block guard is a negative. from what i hear they restrict coolant flow somewhat.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I should be fine though with the amount of boost that I will be pushin... Like I said before, I know crap about the block. I've heard good and bad. But it's been in n/a motors. Hate to spend this money and screw it up. Just checking before I put it all together. Thanks

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
i think the overall opinion on block guard is a negative. from what i hear they restrict coolant flow somewhat.
I have a GE block guard and I have had no coolant temp issues. My motor has ~1250K miles since build. It is not required for stock bore blocks, but I thought it would be good to install something to help with preventing cylinder walk, since I had to bore the motor .020 over and the cylinder walls look a little thin for my building taste. I am planning on running 20 psi for the track.

Also.... sleeved blocks = :thehump:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the bad reputation of block guards is dated. Most pieces I've seen recently have provisions to allow sufficient coolant flow.

I agree, the opening in the head gasket match the openings in the sleeves. I don’t see how it would be anymore restrictive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts