Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so check it out i know these has been gone over many of times....but there is so much debate its blowing my mind right now.....i am going to build a 300+hp and sleeves are the only things im trying to figure out if im going to run or not....should i buy them or just save my money and not buy them or what guys....because 600-800$ would go a long way on some dyno time or otherthings for my turbo build

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
sleeves are great for bulletproof protection but with now a days people are destroying records on stock sleeves with ole faithful. its all about the tune if you have a good tune your car will be reliable. i dont think you need them

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
for 300 whp, stock will be ok........400 whp becomes the weak point. Sure you can get by, but for how long? All up to the tuner and his art.

Myself, I'd run stock sleeves, then when planning to sleeve, go 77mm for about $1500 including the new pistons.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
^It's all in the tune man! A perfectly functioning and tuned D will last a while! Save your nickels and spent in a perfect tune...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
IMO sleeves are a waste of money on a sohc considering you can probably buy and build 3-4 short blocks for the price to have one sleeved.

And like said above there is plenty of people making alot of power on stock sleeves.

Save your money and find a good tuner.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
if you're not sleeving it with 300whp, should you get a block gaurd pressed in?

·
Registered
867 Posts
No block guard unless it is installed before the block is horned or bored. If you decide to do a BG do it right.

I believe there are a number of mid 300whp D's running fine without block guards. We built one and sent it to El Salvador. It's running fine.

If your looking for low 300's just take your block to Mike Laskey at laskeyracing.com talk with him and listen to what he says.

Your in Antelope Valley ? I was stationed at George AFB in the late 70's.

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
Does Mike still work with Benson like his dad did?
Benson sleeves are nice!

As for the 77mm bore, I will respectfully disagree with bone on that one...
I would stay stock bore because everytime you pop the head off on a 77mm block, it's gonna cost 100$ and 1 week to get a new one, vs 35$ for an OEM... Believe me, it SUCKS to have to wait for custom made parts... (FYI I have a 77mm RS block with JE pistons which is why I'm making that comment...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No block guard unless it is installed before the block is horned or bored. If you decide to do a BG do it right.

I believe there are a number of mid 300whp D's running fine without block guards. We built one and sent it to El Salvador. It's running fine.

If your looking for low 300's just take your block to Mike Laskey at laskeyracing.com talk with him and listen to what he says.

Your in Antelope Valley ? I was stationed at George AFB in the late 70's.
yeah i live in the antelope valley....where is georgeAFB do u mean edwards?

·
Registered
867 Posts
George AFB was in Victorvlle CA. We used to hang out the the K Mart parking lot on Friday and Saturday nights.

There was an 1/8 mile track on the base where we would race every other weekend. Then we would race at Palmdale when Bernie Longjohn bought it in 78.

Raced at OCIR a few times also. That's where the famous Earl Laskey and I may have met.

Used to cruise E street in Sanburnadino too. When down to Van Nyes a couple of times.

Good times out there, lots of memories.

·
Registered
720 Posts
well if i can put in my history of information exchange:

when i was at the track in NJ i talk'd 2 Geoff from full-race, he told me on a single cam if u dont buy sleeves u can put the $ on a good tune.. if u dont get a good tune get sleeves...

so its an either or... in the end he said dont buy sleeves, they'll hold if u get a really good tune...

imo that is, as well as his 2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts