Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
honda coupe
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a z6 from junk to do a vitara build. It has a lump on cylinder #1 towards exhaust side. Lump in on the sleeves but not where pistons sit. Its on opposite end at water jacket area. But Not on the block side but on the sleeve side. Not sure if that makes sense lol. Would try to upload pix but photo bucket won't let.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
AM I missing something other than the valley on top of the aluminum part of the sleeve..?

If its inside on the water jacket, itll be fine. But I just dont see it. Looks like the usual corrosion in the jacket area to me.

·
Registered
honda coupe
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes actually there are slight scratched/ scuff marks on the same exact opposite end inside of sleeves. I can actually feel small cracks/ scratches with my finger nails. Prob a bad block or a major overbore to like 76mm? Maybe the aluminum got hot in that area and there was also an air bubble on that spot creating an expansion of the aluminum? Lol. I wouldn't mind to overbore to 75.5mm but that still wont solve the bump. It doesn't look like a casting imperfection. Its a smooth lump like a wart on the sleeves hahaha

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Im not sure if that valley could contribute to HG failure, but it doesnt help if theres a sealing issue. Having the deck milled would def solve it.

But thats up to you if you want to break it all down and drive it to a shop

·
Registered
honda coupe
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Esoter- there is a lump but on the outer sleeve side. Doesn't look like corrosion build up.

·
Registered
honda coupe
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll prob just get a new block from the junk and reinspect new block also. There is a wrecks block. I'll try my luck with that. This block came off a car with no wreck.
Thanks for the help guys!!!

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I dont see the issue with that block..

If the HG was fine upon dis-assembly, it should be fine as a building block

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,936 Posts
So these are the OEM cylinder liners?

I've never seem a lump like that before. If there are marks/scratches on that same spot inside the cylinder bore, I'd be slightly hesitant to proceed with it.

·
Registered
honda coupe
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont see the issue with that block..

If the HG was fine upon dis-assembly, it should be fine as a building block
Its located about 1" Into the outer sleeve of the right side of the picture. Head gasket wasn't present. Someone took the head.

So these are the OEM cylinder liners?

I've never seem a lump like that before. If there are marks/scratches on that same spot inside the cylinder bore, I'd be slightly hesitant to proceed with it.
Yeah I've never seen it before either. Its too coincidental to have a lump and scratch marks down into sleeves like that. That cyl also has quite a few scuff marks. About 5 marks all going vertical into the sleeves.

So you mean a few inches down there is a lump? Then on the sleeve where the piston rubs, there are some wear marks? Seems to me there may be a tiny crack/void in the water jacket, which then rusted the iron liner & warped it into the piston.
Good assumption. Could be. Guess u never know with these shit junkyard blocks. Good thing its got a 30 day warranty.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
I'd try taking something to attempt to knock down that "lump" from off the outer sleeve just to ensure that it was some sort of build-up. If it doesn't come off, I'd be worried about building this block.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts