Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a Del Sol with a D16Z6 and also have a spare trans/motor. Of course I wouldn't mind making it a little fast.

I am about to purchase some sleeves and rods to start getting parts ready for the spare motor build. I have my eyes set on the Darton sleeves because they are closed deck (won't need a block guard) and never had any issues with Darton. What are your guys opinions on them for the D16? I also saw Benson makes a set but are open deck.

My other question is, where do you guys purchase these? I found a set on eBay for ~475 but I didn't know where else to really look for Honda parts. Only owned domestics in the past. Also, where is a good to place to find Pauter rods besides eBay?

I didn't a supporting vendor section on the website. Thanks a bunch.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
honestly, why are you going to sleeve it, OE D sleeves can handle 400hp and unless your going that high, they are a waste, but if your dead set on going that way, then look into exospeed for sleeving

·
Registered
537 Posts
When youre getting a Darton MID sleeve kit, make sure you have a reputable place that can install them too. Not all machine shops are equipped to install these type of sleeves.

We're a Darton Sleeves sponsored team and authorized dealer so if you're interested in getting it all machined and installed, let us know.

See how sexy the Darton MIDs are. :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking to get close to 350whp. Maybe 400whp with meth/race gas for track days. I also have a reputable machine shop locally that I trust to install the sleeves.

I was just pretty much seeing if most people on here prefer the Dartons or like the open deck Bensens better and where to find the best price. Any over heating issues with the Dartons?

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
You can run Darton open deck (a few hundred cheaper) sleeve without a block guard. The open deck sleeve is going to handle any amount of power a D-series can make, so I would recommend saving the few hundred $$$ for something else.

Benson uses Darton sleeves, but they are custom spec for Benson only. If you go through Benson, you are still getting a Darton sleeve.

Pauter rods can be found here: http://www.laskeyracing.com/shop/rods.htm

The rods cost almost as much as the sleeves!! :)

Im in the process of boosting my hatch, and at the same time Ive acquired a spare block and have started gathering the parts to build the spare to drop in later. Ive done a lot of looking around, and a lot of talking to people who have been down this road several times.

I will be going to exospeed for my sleeves, etc. They offer a quality, reputable service for very competitive prices.

·
Registered
537 Posts
We're actually designing our own Darton made Iron Ductil open deck sleeves in the next 2-3 months. It will be an option for those looking for the Darton quality but something a little less in price compared to the MID kits. We have several ideas we are putting on our sleeve design. The old basic open deck is fine, but when you want to make something, always try to make it better right?
We'll have the B and K sleeves out first, then the D-series. I'll get some more information out once we are close to having it ready. We have so much going on this year, its going to be exciting with all the new stuff we'll have available.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
You can run Darton open deck (a few hundred cheaper) sleeve without a block guard. The open deck sleeve is going to handle any amount of power a D-series can make, so I would recommend saving the few hundred $$$ for something else.

Benson uses Darton sleeves, but they are custom spec for Benson only. If you go through Benson, you are still getting a Darton sleeve.

Pauter rods can be found here: http://www.laskeyracing.com/shop/rods.htm

The rods cost almost as much as the sleeves!! :)

Im in the process of boosting my hatch, and at the same time Ive acquired a spare block and have started gathering the parts to build the spare to drop in later. Ive done a lot of looking around, and a lot of talking to people who have been down this road several times.

I will be going to exospeed for my sleeves, etc. They offer a quality, reputable service for very competitive prices.
:werd:

why so explensive of a rod? if your not going for the highest whp ever in a d, you can get eagles/scats/tuner toy/fjt rods for far less and still have excellent quality/holding capability (600 hp: highest d so far is 580 whp). also, why are you sleeving the block? unless your block has already had a .5mm overhaul, there is no need for sleeves. but its your money and you do with it as you please.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Didn't Rota run Darton MIDs? You can definitely trust them!

Yes we ran Darton MID's estimated 680 crank HP. With Pauter rods.

I'd be careful about having a local shop install them, been there, done that. The second block we sent out to Darton West Coast with the first block. Had them remove the sleeves and install them in the second block.

The new B series Hot Rod block was done by Golden Eagle. Robert at GE is taking care of us.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Pauter rods are one of the heaviest rods out there. Don't get me wrong, theyre good rods to use, but in most D-ser builds, Eagle rods are good enough.
My personal choices:(some may not have applications for D)
anything under 500-600HP: Eagle Rods <-- this is where 99.999999999% of D16 builds fall under. :p
400-700hp and got extra cash: Carrillo SuperA Rods
700-1000hp: Carrillo Pro H rods

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Imalso trying to find just sleeves, I want AEBS though, got a shop to do the install...you had any luck findin them OP?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is involved in notching the block for Eagle rods? I found a CP Piston/Eagle Rod combo for about ~650, cheaper than the Pauter rods alone. I might go that route.

I assume you guys like CP Pistons? How do they compare the Wiseco or others?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts