Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just joined!
I just picked up this 90 Si, no rust, almost stock example, so stoked about this!!! Peep the vid for more details!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ5szK7vuCU

Given that a clean/stock civic is such a rarity these days, I'm definitely not swapping these thing or doing boost or anything... but if there are some low key mods that aren't real visible, I'm interested.

Thinking maybe an SOHC adjustable cam gear to move the power band around if I felt like it, but other than that, coming up empty. Anybody have a list/recipe for a 'stock looking' d16 that puts out some more oomph?

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Probably the easiest "sleeper" looking thing is d16y7 aftermarket cat converter with a big 4bolt flange, and simply make a new flange to botl a turbo in palce, and have the heat shields cover it all up, like Rob above said.

ALl motor setups generally are pretty easy to conceal as long as you arent looking for big power. A good intake manifold would kinda give it away, though a cut and ported d16z6 manifold could hide thigns very well.

1.7 rotating aprts for a mini stroker, then sleeving the block and boring for a near 1.8 liter setup would be a mild torquey NA setup for some fun.

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would go the NA route.. Port the stock intake, build and port the head and add a peppy cam. Match that with a good exhaust/header (you can always modify/hide it behind the heat shield) and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
989 Posts
Build the shit out of it, then get a piece of plate aluminum to cover the entire engine bay. Go to Office Depot or Kinkos and get them to take a photo of a stock engine bay from a Google search and print it out, then glue it to the aluminum, and clear epoxy coat that shit. Bam, no one can see crap underneath.

Then leave the rest of the car stock, steelies, rusted quarters, rear drum brakes, sagging rear springs and all. Make sure you rock at least one burnt out headlight and taillight, no one would think anything of the car lol.

Then come back and show us some ripper videos of it running high 10's low 11's with some sleeper drag radials on steelies.

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX Sedan
24 Posts
If you can find one a D16Y8 exhaust manifold with the heat shield is a nice OEM piece that outflows the stock A6 manifold and still looks stock. The HKS Sport cat back looks pretty close to a stock Si exhaust and is really quiet. If someone knows what they're looking at they can spot a Y8 intake manifold but that's an option too. You can do a 4.50 final drive in the cable Si transmission. Nobody would see that and it'd really wake it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Assuming you have the D16A6,
1. Stage 2 cam
2. Shave head, or thin head gasket to increase compression. (Do some research research).
3. Light port work on cylinder head. (Again research this, David Vizard has a few excellent articles online and on YouTube).

Good Luck, please post your results

1 - 8 of 8 Posts