Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tuner tells me looking at this picture I'm about 10 degrees off.

How many degrees is 1 tooth of Timing belt?

The red mark at the center of the cam gear is the keyway in the cam itself. The top red mark is the dimple designating TDC of the cam.

Do I want this to perpendicular to the deck or head surface?

it also looks to me like I'm adjusted all the way as close to cam keyway as I can get.
I

Thanks

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,306 Posts
put a stock cam gear over it and see where the key ways line up. 4.75* is 1 tooth

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
put a stock cam gear over it and see where the key ways line up. 4.75* is 1 tooth
New picture showing 2 red marks aligned with deck or head surface. Very small marks. Currently I would read this as retarded 5 degrees?

If 4.5 degs = 1 tooth and I'm currently 5 deg retarded I could loosen Allen head bolts turn cam to zero it and move the timing belt one tooth then giving me 10 degrees positive or negative adjustment going forward right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New picture showing 2 red marks aligned with deck or head surface. Very small marks. Currently I would read this as retarded 5 degrees?

If 4.5 degs = 1 tooth and I'm currently 5 deg retarded I could loosen Allen head bolts turn cam to zero it and move the timing belt one tooth then giving me 10 degrees positive or negative adjustment going forward right?
View attachment 137234
Sorry this is currently 5 degrees advanced not retarded. pointer is 5 marks toward the plus sign.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,306 Posts
find tdc. does the red dot sit at tdc? go from there

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
your pictures show 4.5-5 degrees advanced.

You also did not specify the engine this is on.

If its a d16y8, that is why your tuner says you are 9-10 degrees off, as a d16z6 and a d16y8 are timed differently.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
See the [+] symbol? advance that direction, retard to [-]

EDIT or you can simply flip the guts of the camgear, the bottom says d16y8. full unbolt and flip. Match or get 0 close to center initially

1 - 8 of 8 Posts