Registered
2003 Jeep Rubicon
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
A lot
2,028 Posts
Remove the "tape" and cap off the vacuum port you are no longer using properly. You can buy vacuum caps from any auto parts store for cheap.

Were you using the B16 TB on your stock Y8 IM, or is it a new install along with the Skunk2 IM?

·
Registered
2003 Jeep Rubicon
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the "tape" and cap off the vacuum port you are no longer using properly. You can buy vacuum caps from any auto parts store for cheap.

Were you using the B16 TB on your stock Y8 IM, or is it a new install along with the Skunk2 IM?

Yeah i was useing the TB on my Y8 an it worked fine no problems

·
Registered
2003 Jeep Rubicon
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Singing" Bump....Bump..Bu..Bump it up

Any help would be great thanks Fam!!

"Going to go see step father"

·
Registered
2003 Jeep Rubicon
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
Registered
2003 Jeep Rubicon
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ttt

·
Registered
2003 Jeep Rubicon
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bleed it? like just drain it from the rad? who u do that?

·
Premium Member
A lot
2,028 Posts
Tony P's suggestion is a strong possibility, I have seen air in the coolant system cause an erratic idle.

The proper procedure using the nipple on the water neck on the front of your cylinder head is listed in the FSM.

Or you can do it the old school way by burping it, pretty much you leave the rad. cap off, let the car run, as it gets up to op temp it will "burp" itself, you add coolant as needed, once it settles out then you top it off and screw the rad cap back on. The nipple way in the FSM is easier and less messy.

Are you using the FITV on the TB or did you bypass it? Are you reusing the same IACV?
Did you mess with either the FITV or the IACV while installing the new IM?

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
x3
Definitely try bleeding the coolant..

I like the old school way...I just put a junk towel around the rad filler
hole to keep some of the mess under control..

·
Registered
19 Posts
im had the same problem.

i never was able to cure mine. the only thing i could thing of too is the throttle body gasket. if you reused yours that could be the issue and same with the intake manifold.

but once you get it figured out let me know.

mine used to be that way..now after my motor swap mine revs from 3500 to 1000 and bounces back and forth.

definetly get those caps from autzone. you can get an assorted pack for around 4 dollars. thats what i did.

·
Registered
2003 Jeep Rubicon
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do this 2 day when i got off of work!!

thanks guys will update latter 2day when i try it.

·
Registered
2003 Jeep Rubicon
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im had the same problem.

i never was able to cure mine. the only thing i could thing of too is the throttle body gasket. if you reused yours that could be the issue and same with the intake manifold.

but once you get it figured out let me know.

mine used to be that way..now after my motor swap mine revs from 3500 to 1000 and bounces back and forth.

definetly get those caps from autzone. you can get an assorted pack for around 4 dollars. thats what i did.
I have all the caps now an i blocked them all off. an i have new IM an TB gasket. but i got a Y8 TB gasket should i of gotten the B16 one??

·
Registered
19 Posts
i dont know if you wanna try this either but, some people have told me you can spray throttle boddy cleaner/carb cleaner on areas where you get a vacuum leak and if the car like bogs or sounds like its going to stall then thats where you leak is ( or if it bubbles)
i have not tried this yet becuase i dont want to go soaking my engine bay with fluid. granted those chemicals dissolve and burn fine inside the motor so its not an issue if they are sucked in..

but you get my point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off what motor is that. I have a similar problem but it doesn't rev up, it kind of stalls a little. I definitely sounds like a vacuum leak. Did you swap over the purge solenoid valve from the other motor? That may be your problem. Are all your sensors and vacuum hoses in the right place?

·
Pew Pew!
EJ6
3,509 Posts
If your using the y8 TB. then get the TB gasket for the y8
But if your using a TB from a b16 then of course you get the gasket for that one.

·
Registered
^^^^
2,120 Posts
Okay, I'm digging this thread back up because the EXACT
same thing is happening to me. Funny how I commented
to bleed the cooling system.

Here's the deal - I tossed my skunk2 on my D15B7 last night.
Went to the hardware store this morning to get a "t" for my
coolant lines and then turned her over. I got the exact same
up and down idle..just like 90EF9SI. Almost as if the brake
booster line is unhooked. It's not. Everything is in place.
As I was filling the radiator, the surge went away for about
3 minutes...and then came back.

All my vac lines are hooked up good, right and tight. I'm a
master of bleeding cooling systems because I've had bad luck with radiators in the
past. ;)

90EF9si, Did you ever find out the problem???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts