Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cold day, sick day, nice summer hearty meal. It does it all.
My dad taught me to make it like him and his dad taught him but I've made it my own over the years. I usually cook the chicken in the oven but I figured, why not smoke it?

Started by taking a whole hen and putting my spices on it. Wrapped in plastic wrap and left over night in the chill box.

I put it in my pan on a rack and put half a can of chicken broth and half a can of beer in the bottom. I never used a water pan while smoking so I'll have to see if it adds flavor or moister. I don't have a charcoal chimney yet but I still tried a variant of the minion method by lighting only the coals in the center of my box and letting them work their way out.

On the grill.

Now for the inside stuff. Take your favorite crockpot

and fill it with 2 cans of chicken broth, add water as needed to cover all ingredients. Spice as you like, I used garlic powder, onion powder, ground sage, Italian seasoning, paprika, and ground pepper. But it's up to you, add what you think tastes good.

Add carrots, onion, celery.

Baddaboom.

Now potatoes and noodles. The German in me also can't leave out cabbage.

Chicken is currently smoking and crock pot is running. I'll update with a bowl when I get done.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Looks delicious

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can already tell. Cook the noodles in a separately pot before adding to the mix. They melted into the crockpot. Didn't hamper it none but not that noodle consistency ya know.

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is the first time I'm doing it the crockpot/smoker route. Start the pot a couple hours sooner (minus noodles) and then start the chicken. Lowering the temp on the chicken so it will carry thought the pots cook time but here's a update pic on what's going in the soup.

EDIT* I found a uneven temp in my cooker. Turned the bird around to finish it even. Need to make more mods for even cook but God I love smoking stuff. Might add a tuning plate or some ceramic bricks to help.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
I just ate my last can of soup, I'll be making my own from here on out.

What I do is 2 lb of chicken thighs in the crock pot.

Crock pot on high, can of chicken broth, veggies, 6 thighs, then add boiling water as needed. 30 minutes in turn the crock pot down to low. Two hours later at 2:30 mark add in the wide noodles and more boiling water for them to suck up. Leave it for another 45-60 minutes and it is done. I do NOT trim the fat off the chicken, the noodles soak it up for flavor.

The thighs just fall apart, easy to shred.

When weather clears I'll be making chili....with a change. Have you seen the prices of ground beef???? HOLY CRAP!!!! Pork it!

I have about 3/4 lb of diced pork leftover from last weekend. I will be smoking a "fatty" or a 1 lb chub of pork sausage wrapped in bacon, then adding it to the crock pot withh all the other normal fixin's. I will also be attempting bacon wrapped onion rings.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
And there you go.
Where is the juice???? How can you have any soup if you don't have any broth?

I've never cooked with cabbage...I know....my Irish/German heritage, I've been keeping it simple. Add a new ingredient each new batch.

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's in there, just a lot of other stuff getting in the way, over filled the bowl. Turned out pretty good.

Might do a stuffed cabbage thread next.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Taters and Noodles, always making the timing tough.

I've had mush tater soup before as I cooked them too long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts