Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

14-16 oz package of loop sausage (2.50)
Two cans organic dark red beans (1.60)
Can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (.90)
Green pepper (.60)
jalapeno (.10)
2 cups quick brown rice (.60 est.)
8 oz water

$6.30 for five "man size" servings or 8-10 "normal" servings

Start with coconut oil in the pan, saute the diced green peppers for 3 minutes, add in the sliced sausage and diced jalapeno, cook another 3-5 minutes then add in the brown rice. stirring to brown it while it absorbs the oils, add water and stir.

Then add in spices of choice, beans and tomatoes, I drained neither. Stir and bring to a low boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

I used crushed red pepper, chili powder, mexican oregano, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder for spices.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While not true Gumbo or whatever, it is about the same as if you bought the "box" and added the sausage. Some simple Cajun seasoning if you wanted.

Simple and cheap, can be changed up in many ways to prevent it from becoming boring.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
While not true Gumbo or whatever, it is about the same as if you bought the "box" and added the sausage. Some simple Cajun seasoning if you wanted.

Simple and cheap, can be changed up in many ways to prevent it from becoming boring.
Thats the biggest thing. I am all about simple and cheap.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
nice bone. its something quick and good. i will add this to my work food rotation.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depending on desired protein/carb ratio, one could add a chicken breast or two, or use GOOD sausage from meat market, add in whatever veggies you wanted.

Plenty of fiber from the beans and brown rice, protein in the beans as well, also might be good road food when riding when made into a cold burrito wrap.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only two "man size" serving left, but making chicken stew soup tonight in the crock pot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.