Honda D Series Forum banner

Simple N/A A6 build dyno

11K views 142 replies 25 participants last post by  OldSkool 
#1 ·
Hey guys just wanted to share my build and get some feedback from you guys. My build consists of:

Rebuilt A6 Engine
Stock port head milled .020
Delta 272
Supertech valvesprings and retainers (overkill but going bigger (cam) later on)
Skunk2 IM/66mm TB/3 inch short ram intake
ARP studs/rod bolts
Block decked 0.010
76mm NPR P29 Pistons
Stock rods
Compression is estimated at 13.0 with the HG I'm using.

I know people don't build these anymore but that's why I did it. Plus, it's in an EF so I wanted to keep it stockish.

Discuss!

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
You'll pick up more power if you neck the outlet down to about 1 5/8" ID before opening it up more.

Also, get a decent cam in there and you should be able to hold torque a lot better.

Not terrible results, but that cam and header and holding it back.

#19 ·
You'll pick up more power if you neck the outlet down to about 1 5/8" ID before opening it up more.
Do you have a link to anything I could read about how that works? I know they are effective, but I would like to know more about how.

#11 ·
I'd like a better cam but I can't find enough cams that would be suitable for my setup. I'd like to see some Bisi level 3 dyno graphs/track times that don't come from Bisi himself. Just wish I had more proof out there and that those cams weren't so expensive like $700. Also I have a friend that had a badass A6 with a Gude cam that made over 160whp. Let's not turn this into a Bisi/gude/P29 hate thread either. I know some have had bad experiences with them (just like the P29 pistons) but I've also seen great results from all of them

#12 ·
oldskool, i think john can replicate whatever bisi grind you want.

btw, i ordered my 282 yesterday afternoon, ill be dynoing with in the next few months. i will deff fill you in with how the cam does.

if i wasnt so lazy id try and find specs for the 72 and the 82.

stratton.

#67 ·
Very nice power from a simple build. What the camshaft crowd doesn't point out is a "premium" cam would double the cost of this build. I could be an uber-dick and say an F23 is a far better idea than a cam'd D16 (LINKY). Torque up to wazoo, option for cheap high-comp OEM pistons, DOHC head... but I will try not to be a dick.

All obd0/1/2 manifolds need the lower seals enlarged & shorter rail spacers, but only obd1 needs the injector's connector modded and resistor box added. Then you still have 25yr old injectors with horrible balance. My experience/tests show used sets generally have a variance of 10% or more, none lower than 5% after cleaning. 10% is a full AFR point.

FYI the stock 235cc injectors also have enough flow for ~160whp, and 20-30 more if you bump the fuel pressure. They're also the same style pintle as the DSM450's, but slightly better atomization from the smaller size. Better, but not good.

The quality difference in the grinding is very visibly apparent. Also, there are enough cases of Delta cams not being ground consistently across a cam.
Beav, re-read what I posted above about DSM450's. All I've tested is shit shit shit from DSM450's, but people get them for less than a handie in the ghetto & are happy with the power. When people prefer (or need) to keep their budget low, I don't begrudge them for using them.

If we presume there is a giant "batch" of bad cams (basically all older production), where are all the "my delta cam failed" threads? The few I've ever found with any issue indicated Delta was willing to help. Definitely not the case where I've seen a Crower/Skunk2/Etc camshaft snap in HALF (or worse).

Also if anyone can find that post/user on the D-Series Peeps facebook group where the guy made ~440whp with a Delta 272 after adding a skunk2 IM (~410whp w/Z6), I'd really appreciate it. He had a stock-port Z6 head & iloveltaco turbo manifold IIRC.

#26 ·
Yes rocket will do regrinds. So will webcam, delta etc. No one makes a new core. Delta stocks cores.

Ive read nothing but posative stuff about deltas cams. John the owner has been helpful. Oldskool had great results with the 272 so have other people.

Ill dyno tune the 282 and see how it does.

Oldskool your inj clips fit right on ? You running black or blue tops ?

I dont think youll pick up much from a 4:1, but trt and see.

Stratton.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.