Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year I installed my old SRR FD into a Z6 trans I had already rebuilt and had listed for sale. This went to sick1camcivic for his turbo monster.

Less than 200 miles on the trans and it broke at the strip. I figured it was the FD but he couldn't get an axle out. I picked up it from him earlier this summer and finally got around to tearing it down. Had a ton of fun getting the axle out. Snap ring was fubar.

MFactory magnetic drain plug did its job, no major pieces made it anywhere else in the trans.

Doubled up OEM magnets had slim pickings.

OEM open diff FTL

Remains. Debris on bottom left came off of the MFactory magnetic drain plug. Everything else was still contained in the diff. Case was not damaged nor was any other part of the trans.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,749 Posts
I keep saying spiders asre bad!

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
WOW That Sucks

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
damn that sucks, atleast the drain plugs did there job

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,749 Posts
inspecting parts and getting it all back together, in order, then gearstacks dropped in......that is the fun part.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
haha, yeah that day sucked. i was PISSED!!! good to know the final drive is fine though! them spriders are FUCKED, that oen is snapped all the way in half..LOL and this was on fucking street tires! 225/60/15 if i remember correct. falkens? just a regular $50 tire on tires.com lol

·
Premium Member
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just think its crazy the diff housing contained all the big pieces and the magnetic drain plug caught the rest. No damage to the fins in the diff area of the clutch housing (what little fins the 92-95 trans has) like you usually see with a broken diff. Not a bit of damage to the case or anything else at all.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
sweeet=) thats what I like to hear. got lucky for once. oh yeah was any damage done to axle that was stuck like a SOB!

·
Premium Member
1996 Civic Type DX
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Inner joint was destroyed when I picked the trans up, splined section was fine though, aside from the fubar'd retaining ring.

·
Registered
95 Posts
well i only ask because i want to replace the final drive (to keep highway rpms down) on my si tranny but ive never done it before so im hesitant.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
hahah that sucks...

i did that before with a b16 open diff with my 92 hatch with type r motor...

but i didnt do it that bad, i just shattered 5-6 teeth off the spider gears, i still drove the car back 2 miles like that to where we met up at then got it towed home...

next day pulled the trans apart, got my spare b16 open diff cleaned the trans, dropped it in had the car running in 5 hours total was fine then i sold it a few months later

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
well, just some more carnage from the weekend at the track. first time back since this trans broke lol. luckily a friend had an extra, threw her in and ran some more. but look at clean the break was, crazy shit. and yeah it broke off inside the trans.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.