Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost have all the parts to boost my car. I'm going to to be running a small IHI RBH5 ford probe gt turbo, low boost 5 psi. I know changing a head gasket is easy and it's a good idea, better safe then sorry, blah, blah. I wanna know if can just use the stock HG and head bolts. the motor is in great condition sohc zc and has like 70k on it with new everything expect HG.

How's running stock composite HG?

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
i replied in the 3 year old thread you bumped.. lol
i was int he same boat as you.. i said fuck it and im running the stock hg.. untouched... stock head studs etc.... no problems at all
what turbo and what psi are you goign to be running?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
so are you wanting to know if you can just boost the motor without having to touch the headgasket and head bolts?

With that small of a turbo, i would imagine that you wouldnt have a problem. if you are going to take the head off to replace the gasket i would get a MLS gasket from oriellys. they are usualy felpro which is a nice gasket and arent too expensive.

head studs would be a good idea to upgrade just to be safe, but the headbolts will probably hold up fine for now.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ ihi ford probe gt/mazda 626 turbo 5-6 psi max. actually on stock exhaust until I can find one for cheap or afford to get one done. maybe a ebay cat.

·
cool title
1,698 Posts
stock wastegate setting on that turbo is 8.7psi. i ran that turbo on my first setup with an hf mani and full 2.5" exhaust, untouched d15b7 with 440cc injectors. never had a problem with it, and still have no problem with my greddy kit at 11psi.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome. cause I've been taking my car apart so much lately and I finally got it running good I don't want to mess it up or take it apart again really. plus a metal head gasket is another $50 plus oil and coolant and misc. shit.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stock wastegate setting on that turbo is 8.7psi. i ran that turbo on my first setup with an hf mani and full 2.5" exhaust, untouched d15b7 with 440cc injectors. never had a problem with it, and still have no problem with my greddy kit at 11psi.
I was actually able to bend the wastegate so it's partically open to lower the stock 8 psi. i might need a boost controller now.

·
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so what does it come down to, to make a reliable boosted setup??

a good engine to start with; no buring oil, coolant, good compression, etc.
good management, with conservative tune, 1 degree per pound of boost on timing, 12.1 a/f in boost??

·
cool title
1,698 Posts
good engine to start with is a must, should have proper compression, and not burn anything.

proper engine management is key to keeping the engine in good shape. my timing is -.6 deg per psi, afr is between 12.5-11.8 in boost (richens as the rpms get higher).

don't turn the boost up unless you are going to be retuning at the same time.

·
Random Hero
2,624 Posts
I've got 175k on my z6. stock head gasket, stock head bolts. the engines never been apart from what I can tell. 230whp daily driver, has seen over 14psi from a 60 trim T3. Before I boosted the engine it had excellent compression across (210). I re-torqued the head studs before boosting it, to make sure they were snug, plus it hopefully added a little extra clamping force. No issues yet, knock on wood.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Mine held up for 35k miles boosted at 11psi. It finaly gave up and I slapped in arp's and a Felpro.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
dont want to drop your thoughts...cause everyone here already boosted mine on a stock HG & stock HB...(but I'm goin arp & metal)

but a friend of mine ran a td05h on his complete stock d15b2 ..with dpfi
& blew 3 headgaskets..on & off
(but he had no boost gauge & no boost nothing/tuning/...lol)

2 months later spun a rod bearing...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts