Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gonna get this set of arias pistons ( std bore ) and eagle rods from this guy brandon harris ( hmtboosters on ebay ) . Sick of crazy insane quotes since my regular garage has been abandoned by me :) . How easy is it for a first timer at DIYing anything to install these . of course i will be going to a professional tuner to get it tuned after . Any books or what i should read ? how long do you think my car will be out of action ?

note: wrist pins , piston rings , etc included and he wil be throwing in a cometic head gasket for free

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Well it's not that hard if you have any common sense and can read/follow directions.. Just buy one of the GOOD manuals on your ride, if you don;t have one and then get you some tools/breaker bars/air tools-better and easier..
from there go through and drain the fluidss from the motor and commence to tearign it down to install yoru new performance parts..

Best of luck w/ it and save yourself from puttin gout alot of labor $$...

Z

·
0 Posts
definitely not that difficult if you have the appropriate tools to do the work. what compression pistons are you going to be running? I assume stock length on the rods? And what kind of fuel management do you have on your ride?

·
0 Posts
It will take you a while. It really depends how prepared you are for the task and how much time you can dedicate to the project. To replace the pistons and rods you have to drain all fluids, pull the motor, clean it up, place on engine stand, take off the oil pan, (be carefull with the gasket and all try not to damage any of the oil pan studs.) take off the assembly above the crankshaft I am having a brain fart on what exactly it is called looks like an oil sending unit of some sort. n e ways. take off the main bearings and seperate them in baggies so that you can put them back in the same order. then take appart the bolts on the end of the piston rods and take off the rod bearings. Remove the crankshaft then pull out the pistons. you'll have to remove the entire head from the block. clean it up again. install your piston rings and assemble the new pistons and rods insert them into the cylinders. Put it back together make sure that the #1 and #4 piston are at the top for timing purposes. and re assemble. Drop the motor back in and hope nothing got damaged in the process.

This will take you a while to do it right.

Good luck keep us posted

any good daigram of your engine will do for learning material

Z

·
0 Posts
SleepingCRX88 said:
with eagle rods the block will have to be notched in order for them to fit...

Oh crap you are right!!!! That was kind of a pain in the ass..........so watch out for that one and make sure you get it done prior to piston install because you don't want any shavings inside the combustion chamber or scratching your walls.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
Other than notching the block, I think you might need help to press in the wrist pins. According to my Helms, you have to press them in with a special tool.

Anyone know of a shade tree method?

I have pressed in other parts like wheel bearing and bushings with a big screw (from a spring compressor) ans some washers.

Z

·
0 Posts
I just screwed them in as far as they would go and then slowly continued clipping the rest in place around the spiral with a small screwdriver. Worked great! Over 3000 miles and no problems.

T

·
0 Posts
The only special toos you will need is to put on the securing clips on each side of the piston..YOu need a special "nippers"..you can get them at an auto parts store or borrow it from a friend..Anyone who has installed Floating pistons should have one.
To install the rods on the pistons just spray some WD-40 on the wrist pin and just slide it between the rod an the piston...then put one clip in each side..

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Thing is, to really do it right, you're going to need to invest into some precision measuring tools...and shortcutting that can lead to bad measurements... and spun bearings, or worse.

I've been on the fence myself about this, because frankly I could afford to just get a crate engine, but I dont want to do that if I could do the rebuild myself...its just extremely intimidating.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I, too, am thinking about doing total engine build up, and have been wondering how easy it is for a first timer to do it themselves and how reliable is it. I have to have my block bored anyway so I was thinking of letting the machine shop do the reassembly, but don’t know if I want to spend the money on it. I am intimidated by my own lack of knowledge.

To me part of the fun is doing the work myself. I get satisfaction in doing the projects myself. I haven’t experienced anything more gratifying then hearing a motor fire for the first time after a swap! I hope to soon have the satisfaction of hearing a motor fire that I just built and swapped.

Is it very difficult to do the proper measurements correctly in your own garage? Is the Helms manual all you really need for step by step instructions?

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
From what I've read, the right tools can end up costing as much as a rebuild from a shop. The Helms has everything you need to know. I have a block that needs boring too...I havent touched it because of that, and the margin for error on bearing measurement is so narrow.

Z

·
0 Posts
getting the engine bored and measured and bearings measured at a machine shop is dirt cheap on a little d-series four cylinder. don't be afraid to get the block to a machine shop for that. ran me like $100.........no major wallet damage there

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
TurbodEG said:
The only special toos you will need is to put on the securing clips on each side of the piston..YOu need a special "nippers"..you can get them at an auto parts store or borrow it from a friend..Anyone who has installed
Needle nose pliers worked for me

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
zoubz13 said:
getting the engine bored and measured and bearings measured at a machine shop is dirt cheap on a little d-series four cylinder. don't be afraid to get the block to a machine shop for that. ran me like $100.........no major wallet damage there
You got a deal... I was quoted 300 for the same thing...maybe I need to shop around more. :p

Z

·
0 Posts
fireant said:
You got a deal... I was quoted 300 for the same thing...maybe I need to shop around more. :p
Damn! that was his booked price he quoted me right out of his listings................

1 - 20 of 30 Posts