Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im buying an 03 civic SI and thats the only problem with it. i know its not a D but maybe someone can help a brotha out.

what are some things that can cause this to happen?

how can it be fixed?

is it too broad of a question to get an accurate answer?

i dont know anything about transmissions so please bear with me and thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Bent shift fork, bad mount, low fluid. There's 3 possibilites. I believe those are cable, so it could be a bad cable or it's not adjusted properly.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,648 Posts
should be under a TSB/recall, they try to dump in GM Synchromesh to cure it first...........

Robin, your insight?

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
should be under a TSB/recall, they try to dump in GM Synchromesh to cure it first...........

Robin, your insight?
he had some guy from hondas warranty claims service check it out and said they wouldnt cover it.

is the synchromesh a bandaid on a broken leg or does it work?

·
Registered
94 civic si
613 Posts
maybe he put some regular gear oil in it? my mechanic says that regular gear oil is to thick to drip the oil on 5th so when you shift into 5th it burns it up or pops out, something like that.

Reactions: rattmann316

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've had 2 trannys with this same problem, one a D and one a B. One of them was a snap ring that acted as the "detent" for 5th gear to click into place. The ring had lost it's tension and it kept popping out. The other was a worn synchro. What causes it is hard to say.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
its a common problem with them... but it seems the more they are beat on the better the chance is it pops out from what ive seen....
i hope your not paying more than 9500-10k for it because if you are.. shop around

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if its only 3k.. then i dont want to know whats wrong with it lol
ive known the guy for 3 years and have been through all his mods

...cf hood and grill
...tien springs
...greddy exhaust
...aem intake
.......etc.

nothing is wrong except he wants to get rid of it for a nissan titan and ive been buggin him about buying for 2 years so its more or less a hook up

o, and it wont have a radio which i could care less about

1 - 16 of 16 Posts