Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys for the longest time i thought i had a si tranny, i bought a si hatch a while back with a blown zc in it. so i took out the engine and kept the tranny. well today i had some free time and i went by the stuff people had said
what to look for to identify si tranny? - Honda-Tech

they said with 2 grooves on the mainshaft its a 90-91
they said 20splines got that
checked the size of the bearing it was 40mm got that
but when i put the trans in 1st gear and spinned the mainshaft with 10 full revolutions it lands passed the HF point. doesnt even come close to a 4.25 or even the dx final. its actually lands at about 3o clock. i really dont wana tear the trans apart to c if its a si final drive, wonder what final drive would cause it to land at that point?

·
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im an idiot lol i suck at bench shifting trannys haha been soo long, i had it in second instead of first, comes up at the right spot just like on the diagram. cool! got an si :TU: ima go get a zc engine today and hopefully put it in today with the si and out with the hf crap

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sounds like you didn't actually get it into first, or didn't get 10 full revolutions, or ???

To calculate output revolutions:

Input Revolutions / (selected gear * final drive)

so, for stock trannies:
HF 10 / (3.25 * 2.95) = 1.04
DX 10 / (3.25*3.888) = .79
Si 10 / (3.25*4.25) = .72

If you look at the 'other' HF tranny (CA I think?) it's no help either:
10 / (3.25 * 3.25) = .95

To end up at 3:00 you'd need the output rotations to come out to xxx.25

And no, none of the aftermarket final drives would get you there either - 4.9 puts you at .62.

·
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya the reason i ended up at 3:00 was because i was in second gear i think. i forgot its backwards when doing the bench shifting because when i thought i had it in 5th i was in reverse lol thanks though i found out it is in fact a si tranny. from a 90-91

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
I'm pretty sure that SI trans came in small bearing cases as well, just most people want large bearing cases.

I picked up an SI swap that came out of a factory 91 SI, completely stock. Guy swapped in a B16 and I bought the swap off him. Got it home and looked at the stamp, sure shit it was a small bearing case. Threw it in anyways and drove it, RPMs fell right at 7300 @ 70mph...exactly like my SI did.

·
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya mine is stamped PL3/9000. ya i measured it and it was 40mm so its the large bearing case. but i only got to use this tranny for one day driving the hatch home 3 years ago lol. hard to remember how well it shifted. seems to find all gears bench shifting it. although in 3rd gear it makes a weird noise, just have to see what happens this weekend when it goes in

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
I'm pretty sure that SI trans came in small bearing cases as well, just most people want large bearing cases.

I picked up an SI swap that came out of a factory 91 SI, completely stock. Guy swapped in a B16 and I bought the swap off him. Got it home and looked at the stamp, sure shit it was a small bearing case. Threw it in anyways and drove it, RPMs fell right at 7300 @ 70mph...exactly like my SI did.
proof of this,

NO ONE has presented proof of a 4.25 FD Si case with 35mm diff yet, EVER!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
I just had a great idea but i'm high so i might be off, but...

wouldn't a factory 35mm cable si transmission explain the error in the Honda parts database? They made the parts list off of one of the odd ball 35mm si...
Quaife is who fucked it all up. They choose a 90-91 EX Sedan 5 speed to check LSD install, then listed the CRX/Civic as having same diff at 35mm. EX had 4.058 FD and 35mm setup, Civic/CRX Si had 40mm setup.

OBX and a few LSD makers copied the same info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quaife is who fucked it all up. They choose a 90-91 EX Sedan 5 speed to check LSD install, then listed the CRX/Civic as having same diff at 35mm. EX had 4.058 FD and 35mm setup, Civic/CRX Si had 40mm setup.

OBX and a few LSD makers copied the same info.
Do you know what the difference in final drives between the following part numbers?

41233-PL3-900
41233-PL3-A00

Is the A00 3.88 and the 900 4.25?

In the honda database I show that both could be in the 91 si tranny.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts