Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 88-91 SI and DX ratios the same except for 5th? I have heard several different numbers on this and just wanted to confirm if they are the same 1st thru 4th?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,226 Posts
DirtyDEF said:
They are the same 1st through 5th. The FD for the Si is 4.250, the DX is 3.888.
DX is 3.722 for 1988 :)

Glad your with stupid..........and not the smart ones.

:slap:

·
Registered
66 Posts
transzex said:
DX is 3.722 for 1988 :)
Is this because of the counter shaft? I took a 88 dx transmission apart and the countershaft had 16 teeth on it as opposed to several different trannies that had 18 teeth. Also, if that is the case, would i be able to swap the countershafts with a 4.25, 4.0, or 3.88 ring gear to come up with a different final drive ratio?

·
Registered
263 Posts
rickles8099 said:
Is this because of the counter shaft? I took a 88 dx transmission apart and the countershaft had 16 teeth on it as opposed to several different trannies that had 18 teeth. Also, if that is the case, would i be able to swap the countershafts with a 4.25, 4.0, or 3.88 ring gear to come up with a different final drive ratio?
4.25, 4.0, 3.88 are the final drive ratios.... stock wise, you dont get too much better than 4.25, unless you run up on a edm/jdm integ tranny with a 4.44?? something close to that. but good luck. me and my brother in law came up on one a while back while doing a d15b+turbo swap on a crx. lucky kid. he hasnt driven it since, just to his house and into his back yard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hatchkid96 said:
4.25, 4.0, 3.88 are the final drive ratios.... stock wise, you dont get too much better than 4.25, unless you run up on a edm/jdm integ tranny with a 4.48?? something close to that. but good luck. me and my brother in law came up on one a while back while doing a d15b+turbo swap on a crx. lucky kid. he hasnt driven it since, just to his house and into his back yard.
i actually dont want a shorter final drive. im thinking about changing my gearing back around like it was and installing a 3.88 final drive, but if i can do a 3.722 final drive, it might even be better.

i had a si/zc hybrid tranny. si 1 and 2 gears, zc 3,4,5 with 4.25 final drive. problem was that i top out about 130 and when im at the track i have to shift into 5th. im about to put a different engine in my car and will be hittin more of about 120mph in the 1/4 and want longer gears. so i put my original si 3,4, and 5 back in to give myself longer gears. but now. when i shift, my shift points are lower and my engine bogs for a couple hundred rpms before it finally kicks in. so what im thinking about doing is putting my zc 3,4 and 5 back in so that im back to my si/zc hybrid gearing but putting in a 3.88 or 3.722 final drive. that will give me my higher top speed, but let my shift points keep me up in the rpms so that my engine and turbo are happier.

below is the gears, shift points, and top speed of the three setups, (left-si, middle - si/zc hybrid with 3.88 final drive, right- si/zc with 3.722 final drive)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts